Logo

Help

Ram Jet

Contributing Member
Does anybody know id a Mark 20 Phelon Magneto and flywheel and a KG7 points cam will work on a 1952 KH7 Super 10?

Thanks,

Bill

Personally I would stay stock. I've played with these, but Mercs can be merciless when doing, or trying to do retrofits. I know a guy with a boatload of these beauties, I will try to track him down. I have a few Super Sixes around and a Mark 30, Mark 35, and some boxes of assorted parts.

Personally I would stay stock. I've played with these, but Mercs can be merciless when doing, or trying to do retrofits. I know a guy with a boatload of these beauties, I will try to track him down. I have a few Super Sixes around and a Mark 30, Mark 35, and some boxes of assorted parts.

I may be out of the woods. I just bought on eBay a Phelon mag, flywheel and points cam. I've got my fingers crossed that it will all work. It wasn't cheap but I don't want to give-up on this old KH7. GAWD I don't want to tear this engine apart again - but. I should have just bought a 1979 Evinrude.

Thanks,
Bill

P,S.; I may be back to you for more info.

Yes, it will fit and work a HELL of a lot better than the Skinny-Tilla setup. Done several of them of them.

Jeff

PS: Good that you got the points cam with it--hard to find.

Yes, it will fit and work a HELL of a lot better than the Skinny-Tilla setup. Done several of them of them.

Jeff

PS: Good that you got the points cam with it--hard to find.

Thank you Jeff. I just made an expensive eBay purchase/decision. I appreciate your feedback. I'm determined to get this old girl humming again. I did get it running for about 2.5 hours in a 20 gal garbage can but she wouldn't restart. I attempted to make some "2 Spark" coils to work, and they did for a little while. I see that Phelon parts are still readily available so I'm hoping it's going to work out. The eBay seller said the coils and points are "fresh" - we'll see. Since it snowed here in Michigan today it looks like I'll have to wait until M045.jpgay or June 2019. Everything on the engine is fine -carb rebuilt, water pump is fine, gear case is A-OK, crankshaft seals were toast and replaced. We'll see.

Thanks again,

Bill

Sweet, I love these motors. They are so compact and powerful. Used to race my Dad with the 1957 Mark 30 on my boat.....16 ft. Cadillac, and he had the Evinrude Lark 40 tiller on a 16.5 ft Alumacraft Yukon. I could "dust him". He had the same 10 horse as yours but could never keep it running. Finally lost his wrist watch in the lake while pulling it over in a frantic rage. We were in the middle of the lake. He started loosening the motor and going to drop it in 30 feet of water. I cried and pleaded with him, He looked at my tears and didn't do it........I ended up with the Merc 10, eventually fixed it and got it running beautifully. I was 11 years old. Sold it for 175 bucks. I had outboard fever......never lost it.......51 years later, still love 'em.

Sweet, I love these motors. They are so compact and powerful. Used to race my Dad with the 1957 Mark 30 on my boat.....16 ft. Cadillac, and he had the Evinrude Lark 40 tiller on a 16.5 ft Alumacraft Yukon. I could "dust him". He had the same 10 horse as yours but could never keep it running. Finally lost his wrist watch in the lake while pulling it over in a frantic rage. We were in the middle of the lake. He started loosening the motor and going to drop it in 30 feet of water. I cried and pleaded with him, He looked at my tears and didn't do it........I ended up with the Merc 10, eventually fixed it and got it running beautifully. I was 11 years old. Sold it for 175 bucks. I had outboard fever......never lost it.......51 years later, still love 'em.

Very cool story. I go way back with the 20 C.I. Mercs. I remember one day when my dad and his friend were racing on Keuka Lake in the Finger Lakes of Upstate New York. My dad's friend had a Feathercraft Firefly with a 10 H.P. Hurricane on it. My dad, mom and myself were in a speedboat called a 16 'Mullins inboard boat (I bet none of you know what that is) he couldn't beat my dad even when he sat on top of the Hurricane. I then rebuilt a Mark 20 when I was about 17 years old and put it in a Minimost homemade boat (7'). When I hit the throttle the boat would literally leave the water. What fun.

I'm lucky to have found this little engine.

Cheers,

Bill

Heck, my Uncle in the 3 lakes Wisconsin area had one I am pretty sure it was a Mullins, not a Chris Craft. He invented and created the Trindle Arc Welding Company. Joe would give us rides in that boat. I was about 7 years old. Talk about fast? You are not kidding. I'm gonna call Joe"s Brother in law, my Uncle John who is 84 years old now....and see if it really was a Mullins. It wasn't really a boat, it was "art work", brother. I grew up and bought a Thompson 17 foot with 75 hp Evinrude. Never restored it, but after 10 years of storage in my pole barn, a guy bought it from me and did a total restore. They are a beautiful boat too, maybe you have even rode in one. They cut through the water like a hot knife through butter. For me, old boats and motors turn back my clock.....I feel like a kid again.....just make sure I don't look in a mirror.

Last edited:
Heck, my Uncle in the 3 lakes Wisconsin area had one I am pretty sure it was a Mullins, not a Chris Craft. He invented and created the Trindle Arc Welding Company. His mama was Joe. He would give us rides in that boat. I was about 7 years old. Talk about fast? You are not kidding. I'm gonna call Joes Brother in law, my Uncle John who is 84 years old now....and see if it really was a Mullins. It wasn't really a boat, it was "art work".

Well, the Mullins (my father called it Mr. Mullins) was an all sheet metal steel hull with wooden reinforcements in the interior. It had a chrome eagle head on the prow. After a while the sheet metal would fatigue on the bottom and crack. My dad had the hull fiber glassed but that didn't last for long. I wound-up silver nickel brazing the cracks and that worked. As I recall it was only about 16' long. My dad installed a Fireball 90 engine in it and it went along pretty well. When you cut the throttle it would tend to "Submarine", that is, dip it's prow deep down in the water. Fun boat but I wouldn't want to own one. My dad then graduated to a 19' Chris Craft "Racer" - the most beautiful inboard speedboat ever - sort of an XKE Jaguar of the water.

Let me know about your experiences with the Mullins.

Cheers,

Bill

Ha.....great history too. I really don't remember the hull, but it had plenty of wood above. The design of the hull on Joe's boat seemed flawless. He ended up selling his business to another welding manufacturer, they changed the name. I still have a 175 amp Trindle welder up at our remote NW Ontario resort. Its quite possible he sold out to Lincoln, I think at the time they were based in Illinois. Joe was a real "clown", quite the personality. He ended up fairly wealthy. I learned how to weld with his equipment. Now after over 50 years, I am specializing in small project, marine mostly, aluminum and stainless MIG. Use a Miller 200. Do props too.

Ha.....great history too. I really don't remember the hull, but it had plenty of wood above. The design of the hull on Joe's boat seemed flawless. He ended up selling his business to another welding manufacturer, they changed the name. I still have a 175 amp Trindle welder up at our remote NW Ontario resort. Its quite possible he sold out to Lincoln, I think at the time they were based in Illinois. Joe was a real "clown", quite the personality. He ended up fairly wealthy. I learned how to weld with his equipment. Now after over 50 years, I am specializing in small project, marine mostly, aluminum and stainless MIG. Use a Miller 200. Do props too.

Well, I could use a-little Heli-arc work on my 11.5' Sears aluminum boat but N.W. Ontario is a-bit of a trec.

Enjoy your beautiful part of the world - next May.

Cheers,

Bill

We live in Duluth MN. Been here my whole life. Have 2 camps in remote NW Ontario, since the early 60's. One on Lower Manitou Lake, 40 miles due north of International Falls MN, and the other on Big Canon L. 30 miles NW of Vermillion Bay Ontario. Drink excellent water directly from these lakes, so pristine.

We live in Duluth MN. Been here my whole life. Have 2 camps in remote NW Ontario, since the early 60's. One on Lower Manitou Lake, 40 miles due north of International Falls MN, and the other on Big Canon L. 30 miles NW of Vermillion Bay Ontario. Drink excellent water directly from these lakes, so pristine.

I grew up drinking water from Keuka Lake, one of the Finger Lakes in upstate New York. I wouldn't drink it today. In your case, so many camps and so little time. Lucky man.

Cheers,

Bill
Burtchville, Michigan

Back