Logo

Help with lower unit u-joint (part number) for a V/P

carboncow

Contributing Member
I have a DP-S (1997 vintage) on my boat. There were no tags on the engine or outdrive but with the help of some great people online we found the tag on the Transom Shield (411156762) that shows it to be a TSK SX-C1 which with a duo prop shows to be a DP-S 4112029783.

When we run that DP-S number through the Volvo Parts online (see: https://powerproductsystems.com/10353.html) I get a part number of 3850814 for the "Spider".

What we got in from one of the respected online retailers doesn't fit. They didn't have the OEM so we went with a BPR unit.

MY concern is I"m doing something wrong in looking up this DPS drive to find that correct u-joint "Spider". I'm going to be calling the supply warehouse tomorrow to verify some things but I'm here bugging the experts (and others) who can correct me if I"m looking up the wrong parts diagram for my drive. It looks 100% accurate in all images although I know there are many variations for duo props over the years.

thx.

2023-05-30_18-51-00.jpg

Thanks. I did mean "12"...to many numbers tonight.

I've included a photo of my outdrive just to confirm it's a plain DP-S. I know a photo doesn't answer all the variations but this photo of it when I first bought the boat is the only other evidence I got that so that I believe with all my research my numbers are correct.

The photos everywhere I look on the internet show the the u-joints I got from a vendor. But it's not what we got in the drive. My only other crazy theory is that in prior ownership someone swapped out the entire yoke that matches up the same with other lower units but has different u-joints. I found a good deal on a OEM yoke for $420 and am wondering if that is the best way togo. Have you seen variations on the u-joints when cracking open older units?

Just trying to figure out how best to solve this. My mechanic buddy (cars but it's done his share of Merc products) is as much as I trust a good mechanic but as you can imagine with no V/P experience..he doesn't really know the variations...and relies on me to get the numbers right!

Thx.

2019-07-23_16-47-24.jpg

additionally, he sent me photos of what I ordered (again looks just like the ones I see in the retail photos) but you can see the one he's pulled out!

IMG_3969.jpeg

IMG_3970.jpeg

Looks like you might be caught up in a U-joint assembly change out over the years and it isn't recommended by Volvo to only replace the spiders but the whole assembly though if you do a deep online search between a few boating forums, some have been able to just change the spiders both by either using some from volvo or going to either an auto drive line shop or have NAPA auto, etc. match up what you removed though some say some brands are to short and needs shims which you don't want to do or others are to long/tight causing potential damage too.

Plus, if i see in the photo correctly, your tech may have removed the bolt that may require a new crush sleeve on some models and a volvo penta rolling torque method.

Plus, the size of the bolt is important and comes in a kit as mentioned in the service bulletin from Volvo link below for you.

https://www.marinepartsexpress.com/bobs_notebook/P-44-1-5_1.pdf

159109-bf31668da99f5f49c053d02c3e5e2373.jpg

Here's video number 2 that reads Volvo Penta DPS Pinion bearing carrier reassembly 2... if needed you may want to find video number 1 too from this guy..., https://www.bing.com/videos/rivervi...&mid=4E03A4BC894A6B99041B4E03A4BC894A6B99041B

Looks like you might be caught up in a U-joint assembly change out over the years and it isn't recommended by Volvo to only replace the spiders but the whole assembly though if you do a deep online search between a few boating forums, some have been able to just change the spiders both by either using some from volvo or going to either an auto drive line shop or have NAPA auto, etc. match up what you removed though some say some brands are to short and needs shims which you don't want to do or others are to long/tight causing potential damage too.

Plus, if i see in the photo correctly, your tech may have removed the bolt that may require a new crush sleeve on some models and a volvo penta rolling torque method.

Plus, the size of the bolt is important and comes in a kit as mentioned in the service bulletin from Volvo link below for you.

https://www.marinepartsexpress.com/bobs_notebook/P-44-1-5_1.pdf

View attachment 30388

Here's video number 2 that reads Volvo Penta DPS Pinion bearing carrier reassembly 2... if needed you may want to find video number 1 too from this guy..., https://www.bing.com/videos/rivervi...&mid=4E03A4BC894A6B99041B4E03A4BC894A6B99041B
Thanks for the late night help. I"m going to stop at his shop this AM and get his temp on the matter and share this intel.

If you thinking this might a part change over issue would you be a betting man that it just had todo with the spider? My question is...do you thinking buying the whole yoke assembly would be safer or would the possibly switch over be at risk for that too? Or simply to hard to tell?

Ok, met with tech today. I think we are confident that the part number for the whole new shaft will work and based on the V/P tech article you sent the part number for the spider only is wrong and prob shouldn't be R&R'd anyways.

I'll confirm the new sleeve and bolt mentioned in the article comes with the new shaft or need bought separately and the tech said he'd review the video...he's fully confident on what is need accomplished there. Hoping for specs from the video we'll both watch this evening or to find the specs in the V/P service manual PDF I have.

If you have any other intel on the procedure for putting the new sleve and bolts...let me know but I'm hoping to find it in the OEM service manual.

Back