Logo

Help with ID of gimbal housing

Soundside

Hi all,
I've purchased a used pre-alpha gimbal/transom assembly and I'm trying to find a part number on it or otherwise identify the year (or series) exactly. Is the part number stamp visible somewhere on it without disassembly? Is there a definitive source where I can find descriptions that will help? This is a pre-alpha unit, but I don't know the differences between the R, MR, MC-1 etc. I believe it is a late-70s or early 80s piece. It has the rubber transom gasket, and larger bolt pattern than earlier models, has trim sensors with the squared off "ears" on the housing that cover them. There are no large plugs on the upper housing where the steering pin is. There is no serial number on the decal, just Mercruiser and Power Trim. Tried to upload photos but couldn't seem to make that work. Any help is appreciated.

So, what "series" is this component? R, MR, MC, MR/MC, C, 1, M-1, R-1.... I'm being facetious, but these different versions are extremely confusing. You see all kinds of variations on these "series" designations, and I'm completely confused by them. At one time, I thought I remembered coming across a really good history of the Mercruiser history, timelines, etc., but I haven't found anything lately that was clear about it.

Thanks kghost. That's a helpful list. And it confirms that there's a lot of slop in the designations people throw around. I've been told by one expert that the unit is an MC-1. That designation doesn't even exist in the list. I've seen lot's of folks using it. Is it shorthand for a particular set of drives?

Back