Logo

Help with carb cleaning for Mariner 50 HP

matthewd

Hi all,

I have a Mariner 50 HP that's been giving me all sorts of trouble starting this year. Some of the mechanics I've taken it to have found it hesitates in starting but it eventually would so they simply said to keep giving it non-oxy fuel and it should be fine. It's run a little bit for me but it has shut off every time I idle and I can't get it into gear before it shuts off.

Everytime I've taken it to a lake it simply will not start for me. So I decided to take matters into my own hands and I've installed new spark plugs, new fuel filter today, and I still can't get it to start and stay running. I figure the carbs are the last easy thing to check (especially since I haven't really cleaned them in the 5+ years I've owned this boat).

Anyone have any helpful pictures/articles/videos on how to locate and clean the carbs? I have the Clymer manual sitting right next to me but it's not as detailed as a beginner like me needs (I like the youtube videos where they actually show you how they take it apart).

Thanks for any help!

Post your compression test numbers.----And is the choke / enricher working?----Load test your battery, even if new.----Take starter apart for inspection and ohm check.

Back