Logo

Help with a couple questions please!

Kranjack20

Hey guys just joined. I just bought this boat on Friday and I know basically nothing about outboards I’ve only ever worked on dirtbike and motorcycle engines. It’s an ‘88 mariner 25hp. I put new premix in it and started it up and ran it for probably a minute in a trash can full of water and made sure the intakes were fully submerged and it never really made a solid stream coming out of the pee hole but more like a trickle. I kept it at idle the whole time. Does it take more than a minute for the water to circulate and start a solid stream? Does it only make a solid stream when in higher rpm’s? Next I took the cover off and noticed what looked like something is broken? The piece that has the spring attached. Last one is u see the bungee cord around the motor? Previous owner said that he has it like that because “some pin fell out 30 some years ago and when you would be driving and let off the throttle the motor would kinda swing back and forth so I put the bungee cord on to help control it” ??? Does that ring a bell for anyone? I would like to know what this part is so I could replace it. Pictures are down below. Thanks for any help in advance!

B4378D8C-DEF0-4B62-A50E-FE74A6F609C7.jpeg

0339E4BD-8896-4F60-8091-991269474E6A.jpeg

Back