Logo

Help! What year is my motor

toqwik

So I just bought this boat, an 89 Javelin. The previous owner did an aerosol overhaul on the motor and now everything is black. Under peeling paint I can see drab green color. It is a V4 and at the right angle you can read 115 under the high quality black paint job. They did tape off the ID tag but when the tape was pulled off the model number was damaged and no numbers or letters are visible. It does say outboard marine corporation on the tag and the serial number is R1307251. She needs an impeller and probably some carb kits and who knows what all else. Thanks in advance for your replies.

Last edited:
The green motors are from 1976 and older.----Start with a compression test , post your numbers.

Last edited:
Post pictures of ignition / coils.----Do not spend any beer tokens until you have done a complete evaluation of this motor.

I got the boat from a neighbor, I live on a lake. He used it everyday for about the past 3 years and it’s been 100% reliable for him. He started a major remodeling of his house about 6 months ago so it hasn’t been ran since. Gas smells bad so I am cleaning out the tank this weekend and starting there. Just need to find out the year for parts. It will run now, just sluggish throttle.

bcecc893-d000-4c93-8005-5f90079dc38a

Attachments

• 42447F43-0465-43F0-B748-CC17CA847EFF.jpeg
    42447F43-0465-43F0-B748-CC17CA847EFF.jpeg
    979.1 KB · Views: 18
That’s good to know. Does the serial number not tell anything? Any numbers on the power head that might help? Is it a Johnson or Evinrude or is it called an OMC?

Back