Logo

Help w fuses - 1985 evinrude 70 hp

D62brown

The 70 hp (1985) has how many ignition fuses ? I have found only 1 - 30 amp fuse on the motor. Are there more anywhere in the ignition system?

Only 1 fuse on the motor and that is a 20 amp. Why do you ask ??

Key switch was operational but clamping nut was broken. Tried to replace it and switched wires, thus blew fuse. (It was a 30 amp.) Nothing worked. Replaced this fuse -now only motor trim is working.
Wiring diagram in service manual does not clearly show each colored wire for the ignition switch. Can you tell me for certain where each wire connects?
We have the following:

Red w purple
Yellow
Purple
Purple w white
Black
The double wire clearly connects to the one nipple stud on the switch.

We took a picture before removing the original switch but it is shadowed and not helpful.

Thank you for your help!

The red/purple is B for battery, yellow/red stripe is S for start in gear protection, purple is A for accessory (switched battery on), purple/white stripe is C for choke (yours is a primer), black/yellow stripe is M for ignition kill. The screw post is the ground. I believe I have that correct. OMC has had it that way for 30 years at least on all engines above 40hp. Be sure to use the small 20 amp fuses (short). The 30 amp fuse was for trim & tilt in its junction box long ago. Same physical size but wrong amp. A long fuse is not protected by the holder & presents a fire hazard under the motor cover. Hope that helps.

Thank you all for the detailed instructions and the colored diagrams. I will pass this along to the boat owner and see if he can get it working. The quick replies are appreciated!

Back