Logo

Help Tohatsu Guru M40C

Duck Dingy

Here goes.... I recently purchased a (from what I can tell) is a 1999 or 98 M40C. I've taken it out twice do far. Sunday afternoon it was running just fine and then completely shut off. No stutter, nothing... It just died. After removing the engine cover, I noticed a leaking fuel hose, couldn't fix it on the water. Got towed back (embarrassing). So today I installed all new fuel lines, tore apart, cleaned, and reassembled the carb and installed 2 new spark plugs as well. After if was all said and done, she still won't fire....even using ether. I unplugged the kill switch and still nothing. I unscrewed both plugs and grounded the to the case and they're both firing strong. The carb is getting plenty of fuel, obvious to me after I cracked open the drain screw in the bottom of the bowl. I'm stumped. Hopefully it's something easy and you can save me tons of money and time. Duck season is less than a month away and I can't wait. Thanks for your help.

Since Elvin hasn't had the chance to reply... I would suggest you diagnose the issue. A slight leak in a fuel line, while not good, probably didn't cause a sudden stall. Start with the Factory service manual, and, using it as a guide, pick one of the 3 primary systems (electrical, fuel, mechanical), test it, and then continue on to the next. Since you have spark... assuming it's firing on time (you can check that with an inductive timing light), your next suspect system is the fuel system. What method did you use to clean the carb? What is the compression? Is there water in the fuel?

Thank you for the reply. All is well once again. Here's what all was done. It's honestly my fault that the engine wouldn't run. I just got the boat 2 weeks ago and it ran just fine. Well....if it's not broken, don't fix it. It needed a little bit of TLC is all. New plugs, new carb kit (to answer your question, i use berryman's 1gallon carb cleaner), new filter, new fuel lines, new bulb, and new tank (the old one was cracked around where the line goes in). Each time i would clean the carb, the pilot jet would instantly clog again. Dirt was coming from everywhere. Corn flake sized crap in the tank, fuel lines were deteriorated from the inside, parts of the inside of the bulb had deteriorated, everything was a mess. Shot timing just for fun. All is well. Thank you for your response. I will definitely be keeping up with this site in the future.

Back