Logo

HELP Tilt/trim piston rod (rebuild) WON'T GO BACK INTO HOUSING

nu2boating

Hello all, i am new to boating and have been trying to fix my tilt/trim on my 50 hp, 1993 lowe. The problem is that i took the trim apart and replaced the o-rings and seals. Now the trim rod cylinder will not go back into the housing, it is stopping just past the threads inside the housing and seems to just be butted up against the inside of the cylinder housing when i tried to reinsert the rod and piston assy. Does anyone have any idea what the problem may be? I bought the actual replacement ring kit #0435567. I even tried cutting a coke can and wrapped it around the piston to try to put it back in with no luck. Any ad all help/advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Last edited:
Hello all, i am new to boating and have been trying to fix my tilt/trim on my 50 hp, 1993 lowe. The problem is that i took the trim apart and replaced the o-rings and seals. Now the trim rod cylinder will not go back into the housing, it is stopping just past the threads inside the housing and seems to just be butted up against the inside of the cylinder housing when i tried to reinsert the rod and piston assy. Does anyone have any idea what the problem may be? I bought the actual replacement ring kit #0435567. I even tried cutting a coke can and wrapped it around the piston to try to put it back in with no luck. Any ad all help/advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Ayuh,.... Lowe makes boat, not motors, so whatcha workin' on,..??

Sorry for not mentionimg type of engine, it's a 1993 50hp evinrude. The problem I am having is getting the trim rod cylinder back into the cylinder housing after I replaced the seals and o-rings. Also just wondered would the cold weather have anything to do with this issue?

Ayuh,.... Ask this in the Johnny-rude Outboard forum for better answers,....

This isn't an electrical problem,....

Sometimes salty old captains like Bondo need an interpreter. What he means is go to the top of this thread and click on "Forum Home". That will give a list of outboard forums supported by this site. One of those is the Johnson/Evinrude forum. Sign into that one and re-post your question.

Back