Logo

Help!!! Thermostat replacement BF50

Dannbran

So one of the bolts for the top part that covers the gasket and thermostat just broke off when I was trying to remove it. Any suggestions on how to get this out? I tried to grab it with a pair of vice grips but it wouldn’t budge.

OUCH!!

But if you do have something to grab....start trying to work some PB Blaster into the threads.

You do that by just giving it a quick shot and....after waiting a bit....set the tip of the biggest soldering gun you have or can borrow on the end of the bolt.

Get it hot.....let it cool off....then spray it and heat it again.
Do that maybe 4 or 5 or 15 times.

The heat should help the rust buster work it's way in there and the heating/cooling cycle helps to break the bond between the two metals.

For this to work, you HAVE to be patient! If you get in a hurry and destroy the little bit of bolt that you can grab then you're probably going to have to drill it.
Although, you might still be able to catch the edge of the bolt with a very sharp punch and tap it around that way.

If you do end up needing to drill, the DREMEL tool with some cheap carbide bits from eBay will be your best friend.

There is a thing called Rescue Bit that will get it hogged out quick...almost like magic!

But those are expensive items.

If used according to the directions though, they will last a long time. I have some I bought 3 years ago and they still work great. But, again, get impatient or not follow the directions you will destroy them fast.

Good luck.

So no luck breaking it loose. Tried an extractor tool as well with no luck. Would it be ok to drill it out and use a helicoil?

Sure, but be careful and get it straight!

I personally prefer the Rescue Bit to dig it out. That saves the original threads and you can tap/chase them to preserve the casting's strength.

But that's your call.

Either way will work as long as it seals when you're done.

Good luck.

Depending where you live it might be worth taking it to a machine shop. They will have the expertise and tools to remove it.

Back