Logo

Help Please, Thanks!

John Haggerty

Contributing Member
1989, 70hp Johnson. It's been running good the last couple of months. I run it about every other day for about one hour of run time. About one week ago I was up on plane running the sweet spot of 3750 rpm. I normally run it there as it's seems to like that best. It just suddenly died. I don't think I hit anything as I was running familiar water. It re-started fine and ran fine for the next week. I have two batteries set-up with a selector switch. I only use it in the starting battery position. In addition there is another switch which if I remember allows the trolling motor battery to charge when the starting battery is full. I don't use that switch. A couple days ago I accidentally hit that switch and the motor ran very rough and died. I put the switch back in it's regular position and the motor started and ran fine. Being curious I switched it again and again motor rough and died. I put it with back vowing never to switch it again. Motor then running good. A day later it ran fine for about half an hour. It ran rough and died. I can get it to start and idle fine. If I put a load on it it dies. Makes me think it's a fuel problem. I changed all fuel hoses/lines and removed and cleaned the carbs about 8 years ago. Since then, nothing but high octane REC fuel. I have a water separator/filter and a second inline filter in the system. Any thoughts, thanks!

Running, yes. Properly, I don't know. I won't be running it for a couple of weeks. After that I'll run it for about a week then pull it out of the water. I haven't done any maintenance on it in over a year. When I do pull it I'm planning on compression test, plugs, lower unit oil change, impeller and thermostat. I might do the relocation of the tell-tale to the top of the engine versus original location. Thanks for asking!

Maybe it's just maintenance, when you take the motor out you might notice something strange and let it restart. That's the only guess I have so far.

Back