Logo

Help please leaking solenoid.

Hey guys i need a bit of guidance.
I have a 1992 tracker ( evinrude ) 25 hp electric start outboard i had issues with the starter last week and when i had the cover off while trying to start it noticed while the solenoid was activated it leaked from between the red manual lever and the black cover. Once running no leak. Also leaked when manually actuated.
So i replaced the starter and solenoid repair kit. Starter works great but even after replacing the solenoid cover valve and o-ring it still leaks , again only when activated.
I would just replace the whole unit but when i priced them it was like 180 bux for the entire assembly. I am not trying to be cheap , but , holy cow ! 180 bux for a little solenoid.
After examining how this monster works it seems that either the gasket surface on the cover is letting fuel around to o-ring through the opening where the stop tab goes through or fuel is passing around the o-ring itself .
Am i missing something? Any insight would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance for any advice.

These solenoids were used for many models of motors from 1980 to 2005 so lots of good used ones around at many shops / dealers.-----Your location ?

Indiana , just east of indy.
I wish i could find a good mechanic/ used parts place . All the parts suppliers i have dealt with seem to only want to service newer stuff.

A sad problem for many folks with older motors that are in good shape.----If you could walk over I know of lots of good used solenoids.----Your best bet is E-bay I am sure there are lots listed there.

You installed a new kit in that Fuel Primer Solenoid and it still leaked? Is it cracked at some point?

Yes , i installed the repair kit and it still leaked . Fuel is coming from between the red plactic valve and the hole it sits in .
Just for clearity i replaced the gasket , red valve and cover. But somehow fuel is getting past or around the o-ring. It only leakes when either acitvate by pushing on the key or by manually turning the valve . Holds fine when not being used ....
I also examined the old parts and found no cracks or anything else i thought would cause a leak.
The only thing i can think is the solenoid body must be not truely flat and allowing fuel around the o-ring.
There are 2 small guide pins on the solenoid body one of which appears to fit the groove above the o-ring , this is where i assume fuel is getting into the area where it leaks from . So hopefully the replacement wont leak.
I would have bought a new oem unit but they want 180 bux for a new one. And i bought a used oem for 24 bux .

For future parts needs try Tim's Outboard in Hackensack MN. They are awesome folks. Stand behind their stuff. Have new and used parts way back to the 50's. Been in business 52 years. A huge inventory of used parts.......AND NOT OUT IN THE SNOW LIKE MOST OF MY PARTS. I have a huge pole barn but filled with toys.

Last edited:
Yes , i installed the repair kit and it still leaked . Fuel is coming from between the red plactic valve and the hole it sits in .
Just for clearity i replaced the gasket , red valve and cover. But somehow fuel is getting past or around the o-ring. It only leakes when either acitvate by pushing on the key or by manually turning the valve . Holds fine when not being used ....
I also examined the old parts and found no cracks or anything else i thought would cause a leak.
The only thing i can think is the solenoid body must be not truely flat and allowing fuel around the o-ring.
There are 2 small guide pins on the solenoid body one of which appears to fit the groove above the o-ring , this is where i assume fuel is getting into the area where it leaks from . So hopefully the replacement wont leak.
I would have bought a new oem unit but they want 180 bux for a new one. And i bought a used oem for 24 bux .
Has anybody actually figured out this problem ?

Back