Logo

Help Please. Johnson 90hp clunks in and out on engagement of forward gear

Iainr

Motor:
I have a Johnno 2001 2st 90hp.

Issue/Observation
- When in neutral and push forward on the controls, I hear a 'clunk' where the motor momentarily goes in and out of forward gear (i..e it seems to bounce back to neutral). The 'clunk' is bordering on a 'bang' and is noticeably louder than a normal gear engagement. If I repeat the exercise it will 'clunk' again but will eventually (after one or more tries) go into gear. Once in gear it stays in gear and seems to perform normally right through the rev range.
- No issues with reverse gear.
- Forward gear engages ok on the trailer i.e. prop in air- this happens only when the prop is submerged

Other Factors:
1) I recently noticed an oil leak and had water in the gerbox due to fishing line damaging the seal. I removed the prop and bearing carrier assembly and replaced the seals, O-ring and gerbox oil. There were no metal fragments on the drain plug, the bearings looked in excellent condition and there was no evidence of rust internally. The new oil now looks fine and there is no water ingress or oil leaks post repair. The first time I used the boat post repair this problem was not present. It appeared on the second usage.
2) Immediately prior to this problem emerging I replaced the fuel line and therefore removed the engine cowling and the small cover where the cables enter the outboard. The cables have all been lightly moved/jiggled during this process.

Timeline:
Noticed oil leak - no clunk prior
Replaced gearbox seals - no clunk immediately after (single boat outing - multiple gear engagements)
Replaced fuel line - clunk appeared after

Thanks for reading and all suggestions welcomed.

Iain

If the lower unit has been off for any reason... I'd suspect that someone has turned the shift rod out of its critical adjustment. Otherwise...................
(Centering Shift Cable)
(J. Reeves)

When all is as it should be, the proper method to adjust the shift cable is to disconnect the cable from the engine. Move the shift linkage on the engine to find the center of the play in neutral, and when found, leave it centered.

Now, grab the end of the shift cable sleeve, push and pull it to find the center of the play there, and center that play.

Adjust the trunion on the threaded portion of the shift cable so that the centered play of the cable lines up with the centered play of the engine's shift linkage. Install and lock the shift cable with the retaining clamp in that position. That's it.

Thank you Joe.

The lower unit has not been removed. I will follow your instructions to adjust the cable and advise the outcome.

Iain

Resolved: My mechanic adjusted the cable at the linkage (it was out quite a way) and adjusted the idle which was high. Now engages beautifully.

I think the idle may have increased over time so I never really noticed it was high. Now it has been fixed I can notice the difference and hear how much lower the RPM is.

Back