Logo

Help New boater

Steve 1997

Good Afternoon, I am a new boater. I went out for the first time and three hours into it the boat lost thrust power and the engine compartment filled with smoke. the went out a second time nto even for five minutes and the engine compartment filled with smoke and no throttle power. been out twice and towed back in twice. any ideas on what it could be. oh yea, it is a vovlov Penta engine 135 hp.

Good Afternoon, I am a new boater. I went out for the first time and three hours into it the boat lost thrust power and the engine compartment filled with smoke. the went out a second time nto even for five minutes and the engine compartment filled with smoke and no throttle power. been out twice and towed back in twice. any ideas on what it could be. oh yea, it is a vovlov Penta engine 135 hp.

Ayuh,.... Was anything done to it after the 1st problem, or did ya just go boatin' the 2nd time,..??

Has the Impeller been changed,..??

I agree.... more information would be helpful.

Most likely causes without having more info:

You did not replace the sea water pump impeller.
If AQ series, you did not replace the water neck fitting and special beaded gasket.
You have an exhaust manifold that is restricted on the sea water side.

The smoke is very likely from the exhaust coupler burning from excessive heat.

You will want to examine all of these areas, including the exhaust bellows, exhaust bellows flapper (if so equipped), etc.
If a later model engine/drive (SX for example), you'll want to examine the propeller hub since the exhaust exits via the prop hub.

Thanks, I spent the weekend working on the boat. I changed the impeller and the exhaust boot, now the lowwer bellow blew out. I also changed the T-stat. I went out yesterday and was able to get about two hours out of her before it would start to run hot around 200. It is a 3.0 volvo penta SX engine.

An exhaust manifold can be "boiled" at a radiator shop. This should remove the internal rust and scale in the water passages, but if it is too corroded it may fail soon.

Back