Logo

Help needed with new Crusader 270 dipstick tub location

JCosta

I purchased a new Crusader 5.7 base engine (1967-1986 replacement) from MichiganMotorz. It cam with all the tins including oil pan installed. The engine I replaced had a cast aluminum pan with the dipstick tube in the bottom of the pan. The new engine came with a steel pan so my old dipstick tube doesn't fit now. I can't use the old pan because a connecting rod went through it. :mad:

Does anyone know if they make a dipstick tube connector that will screw into the drain plug hole on a steal oil pan or can the tub be located on the block. There appears to be a hole for it but it's very close to the exhaust manifolds. Anyone have a different setup than having the tube in the pan?

Thanks... John

I do believe you are going to have to buy another tube and install it . Not sure if the old dip stick will work in the new tube.
The document .jpgs are for a 5.7

Perhaps they will be of some help

ScreenShot002.jpg
ScreenShot003.jpg

Last edited:
I would suggest you contact MM and get their recommendation - proper oil level is key to any warranty claim and you want to avoid that issue!!

I also suspect you bought the generic marine engine they offer vs a crusader specific item....now you see one of the differences.

Either way, it shouldn't be too hard to source one..

I would suggest you put your old oil pan on, I assume its a deep pan. I say this as I put my engine back in the boat and I put a new oil pan on it. It was not the high capacity just the 5 qt. version. I have problems at top end because the oil is not getting back to the pan as fast as it is pumped out. Also your aluminum pan wont rust where a steel pan will. Just my 2 cent's worth. I will be lifting my engine out this fall to change the pan's out. One other thought though, make sure it wont void your warranty if you change the pan out.
Best of luck

His original plan was modified with a rod size hole so he can't use it. Have you tried ebay? I picked up a newer big block with the one piece rear main, as luck would have it, I found a Crusader pan that day on ebay. You might be as lucky as I was. You could always look for a different brand of marine pan that might work.

John.
I took the new pan to a friend with a machine shop and he drilled and tapped a hole at the bottom and the right side of the pan. Where the dipstick tube was made by GM the exhaust manifolds were in the way so I had no other choice.

Thank you all for your help,

I contacted MichiganMotorz and ordered the dipstick tube and dipstick that they recommend, $80 bucks ouch!. I guess its better than a new cast pan. They stated that it will have to be installed on the starboard side of the engine in the hole provided and this should give me enough clearance for the exhaust manifold. The problem now is that I already plugged that hole so now I will need to drop the pan and knock the plug out... great! I assumed that I was going to be able to use the hole on the port side because it provided the easiest access to the dipstick.

I guess I should have thought that out first.

John

Back