Logo

Help My mariner 60 overheat alarm is driving me crazy

D

Dangerous Dave

" Ok, i've got a mariner 6

" Ok, i've got a mariner 60 elpto (1996 model) and we ran out of oil, so as a substitute we used some red 2stroke oil. I thought being for the same type of engine it would work?!?

So i tried my boat, got about 10 mins away from shore and the overheat buzzer went off (continuous alarm), so i turned round and headed back.

I checked the thermostat and the wiring for it, and everything was ok, which lead me to believe that the oil was at fault. So I've just changed the oil to some proper stuff and the alarm is still going! Is there another oil sensor? could the problem be that there's some oil still left, I ran the engine for 10 minutes?

Any Help would be appreciated "

"Dave,

How long did you run

"Dave,

How long did you run the engine before you realized that you had run out of oil?

"

" I replaced the oil before it

" I replaced the oil before it ran out, using the red 2 stroke stuff DX3(i think its only for use with mopeds!). I check the oil level regularly, so its never been run without oil. "

" Dave,

Just checking so we

" Dave,

Just checking so we don't waste time.

I don't think the oil would have damaged the engine. I know the manufacturers call for specific grades of oil for use with these oil pumps, but I have seen people use just about everything and get away with it. However, I would advise you to use the proper oil in the future.

If the overheat alarm goes off, either the sensor has gone bad, or the engine is running hot. There should be only one heat sensor, but if you have a temperature gauge, there may be two; one for the buzzer, and one for the gauge.

I don't like to take any chances when overheating may be occurring. Heat can easily destroy any outboard. You should try to determine if the engine is actually running too hot. A temperature probe is very handy for this, but you can try touching the surface of the engine with a finger. Of course, you have to be very careful when doing this. You don't want to touch the flywheel, or any electrical components. You should be able to touch the port side of the block, just below the thermostat without getting burned. Likewise, you should be able to touch the cylinder head also. If the temperature seems to steadily rise in these areas as the engine warms up, and does not stabilize, you probably have an overheating condition.

If that is the case, you have to start by dropping the lower unit and checking the water pump, and water tube. It sounds like you have already checked the thermostat, but if you did not, you should probably do that first.

If you drop the lower unit, it is a good idea to simply attatch a fresh water hose directly to the water tube and turn on the water. This will enable you to see if water can circulate freely. You can even run the engine when you do this, and see if it seems to cool normally. If there are any hot spots, it is easy to find them using this procedure.

If everything seems okay here, the problem is probably the water pump. If it has never been replaced, it may be time to do that now. It is not a bad idea to replace them every few years anyway.

Tony "

" ok, today I checked all the

" ok, today I checked all the circulation, and ran the engine up. Everything seems fine, the engine isn't overheating. so it must be somewhere in the sensor circuit. When i turn the ignition key on, but don't start the engine the alarm sounds continuously, and stays on when the engine starts from cold. I've tried disconecting the temp. sensor, and the alarm doesn't stop.

could it be the buzzer in the engine controls box thats the problem?? "

" HI DAVE,
EVERYTHING THAT

" HI DAVE,
EVERYTHING THAT TONY HAS ADVIZED IS CORRECT. NOW THAT YOU HAVE GIVEN THE LAST BIT OF INFO I WOULD SAY THAT YOUR WARNING MODULE IS BAD. I HAVE RUN INTO THIS MANY TIMES AND HAVE 2 NEW ONES IN STOCK. PLEASE EMAIL ME IF YOU WANT TO KNOW THE PRICE. THERE IS NO NEED TO TAKE YOUR CONTROL BOX APART.
BRIAN "

" Dave,

There is definitely

" Dave,

There is definitely a problem somewhere in the circuitry or components. I would advise you to correct this problem. I have seen many people decide to simply disconnect the warning circuit so they don't hear the buzzer. Then when something did go wrong, there was no warning, and in a number of cases it resulted in a burned engine.

Tony "

"Cheers Tony, and thanks brian

"Cheers Tony, and thanks brian, I'll take a look at it, and let u know the outcome.

"

" Brian, I am experiencing a s

" Brian, I am experiencing a similar phenemon with my 1992 Mariner 115. Sometimes the alarm will come on when I am going slow, or fast. I can sit with engine off and fish for an hour, and when I turn the key, the alarm stays on. I can be running down the lake with the alarm on (it is using oil and spitting water out) and the alarm will go off. During a day on the lake it will come on and go off and come back on. Should I suspect the WARNING MODULE as well? How would I test to narrow it down to just that part? How much would that part run, and is it something that I could put in myself? Thanks for the help

Mark "

Back