Logo

Help examine my DVA results -

FstaRockr Burns

Regular Contributor
Hi all - so after a long battle with a frazzled diode in my home DVA adapter (due to my stupidity for not breaking the solder between the diode), i FINALLY have some proper test results!

The motor starts and idles fine, last week i had an intermittent miss, first at idle, then it disappeared.. After that i found when i use the fast idle lever it returned on the lower cylinder.. now its gone and all 3 seem to be firing without a hiccup at idle AND fast idle..

Anyway - havent had the boat out on the water, but the last trip it was totally down on power and not much happening after low rpms.. holeshot seems like it wants to take off then just makes this hun-nun-nun sound and little power..

Im going to rig up new plug wires,

So far:

new set of plugs
rebuilt/cleaned carbs
new fuel lines / filter
fuel diaphragm fine and tested - no bubbles and squeezing bulb makes no difference
compression almost perfect at 139 on all 3
new crank seals
reeds checked out ok
batt charged

Here are my results:

Trigger: (disconnected / at cranking / plugs removed)

Voilet: 17v AC
Brown: 19v
White: 6v *** much lower ***

Now connected to switch box (still cranking / not running)

Coil Primary (disconnected from coils, just sw box output terminal):

Violet: 280v AC - should I switch to DC here? Specs calls for about half these readings.. 100v +
Brown: 300v
White: 270v

Stator (wires disconnected / cranking):
Blue to gnd: 453v
Red to gnd: 85v

Stator connected to sw box (cranking / not running):
Blue to gnd: 330v
Red to gnd: 95v

At idle:
Stator blue terminal: 250v
Stator red terminal: 230v

At fast idle (using fast idle lever):
Stator blue terminal: 362v
Stator red terminal: 256v

So what deductions can possibly be made form these readings? is my trigger possibly bad? I think the intermittent mis was coming off the same trigger wire (white) that is showing a much lower reading -

its just things keep jumping around - maybe the trigger is bad and the advance is throwing it around? (broken wire inside or something?)

Last edited:
Oh - to add to this, I did replace the sw box 4 weeks ago and the motor ran perfect for 2 days then same issue came back! Im using a non standard rectifier from a motorbike, its an aluminum one with a hole thru the middle - im getting 13.3v at idle..

Also - i connected the DV meter to kill wire and switched key on and off many times, didnt see a single hint of a voltage spike there. I will continue more tests in the harbor when this south easterly stops galing! Early morning I can run without a cover and disconnect harness to see if wiring harness creating issues..

Back