Logo

Head Gasket Sealer, or not?

Mystic Mariner

About to put the head on my 1991 Johnson Commercial 45hp outboard (Model No. J45RCLEI). Seloc Manual states coat both sides with OMC gasket sealer, genuine OMC head gasket states "Use No Sealer" on the gasket. Question is: sealer or no sealer?

I presume the "no sealant" comment would equally apply to the water jacket that bolts onto the cylinder head, correct? I just picked up head gasket and water jacket gasket and they appear to be of the same material.

They told us at OMC training to use sealer on head gaskets regardless what it said on the gasket.If I was doing it on the exhauast gaskets and bolts as well.

Often folks use way too much sealer.----If you insist a very thin smear is OK.-----The head is warped and should be refinished.----If the head is flat it will seal without any sealer applied !

I recently watched Dangar Marine on youtube do a head gasket and he sprayed the gasket with "polymer". When I look at the head gasket I have, the metal rings for the cylinder openings appear to show a bit of a coating so I suspect these gaskets have been OEM treated in a similar fashion, so I am inclined to forego any additional sealant but will continue to seek other opinions before moving forward. I'm more concerned of course with the head gasket than the water jacket gasket.

Anyone else wish to chime in or add additional comments?

OK, my marine supplier's mechanic recommends leaving the head gasket dry but said could use HiTack spray on the water jacket gasket, so that is what I'll do. I wonder if the spray for the water jacket gasket is more for prevention of water penetration? Oh well.

???----=Some want to argue.----It says ----" do not use sealer "-----The head is warped.----Resurface it and install the gasket

Back