Logo

Head gasket 2.3 ?

I overheated my engine and now have water in my engine. I figured it was a head gasket or poss a cracked head.I started tearing it down.Is it poss it could just be a risor gasket?Is there a test i can do to determine the failure before i go on? thanks for any help.

I started tearing it down.

buy new gaskets, put it all back together and do a compression test and pressure test of the cooling system

Is there a test i can do to determine the failure before i go on?

you have to do that before you tear it apart- compression test and cooling system pressure test

you're looking for ghosts in the machine now- could check the head and deck with a straight edge and feeler gages

head gaskets don't really go on marine engines very often where the cooling system isn't pressurized

Last edited:
Ok , the heads not off or unbolted,so I can do the compression test.Is the risor a possability?Can you tell by looking at the risor gasket?How would you pressure test the water side?Pressureize the supply line and block off the exhaust ? Thanks for any info.

Last edited:
Ok Bob I got the idea. I did'nt get too far in the disasembly, so only a few gaskets needed to test the system.I will try next weekend when I get the new gaskets. thanks

Back