Logo

Hard starting

Stryker

Hello,
i have a 2015 Mercury 4 stroke 8hp that keeps flooding, I think. I prime it with the priming bulb, like it tells me to do. It wants to start but will never stay running. It has the 3 position choke, should I not use the bulb. I've had it running a few times and it runs great, and once it's warm it will start on the first pull.
Thnaks

pull plugs inspect them, if tan running ok ,wet problem,black&sooty problem.Once running squeeze primer bulb what happens? Check fuel filter for crud.fuel&tank clean?Are you using proper starting technique? Consult manual. Possible water in fuel bowl now? Drain bowl.

Thanks for the reply.
I pulled the plugs a little black. Drained bowl, put new plugs in it started and ran for a few seconds then quit and won't start again. New fuel with mercury additive added. Fuel is three week old. My 60 runs great on the fuel. This kicker, when it's been able to start it runs great. When I'm done trolling I pull the fuel line and let it run until it quits. This motor has less than 4 hours of operating time on it. Bought the boat at sea level. I run the boat at 4300 elevation. I thought I had the fuel mixture set right for this altitude, but maybe that's my problem.

Engine might be set up for sea level operation,engine is running too rich,call dealer for proper jetts for your altitude, I do not believe mixture screws will solve all your issue alone,Thinner air less fuel needed for proper combustion! That is a idle mixture screw only,controls mixture at idle,anything above idle not affected by it.

Back