Logo

H2o pump looses prime

RKL-24 (62 Johnson 40hp) Excellant cond. hasn't run since 89 so I recond everything except pistons rings (88psi comp). Problem, have new pump impeller, plate, tube grommets, seals, o-rings, T-stat and housing, pump housing looks to be in good shape so it wasint replaced. engine runs great but pump will only prime at higher rpm (25-3000) then it will hold prim till low rpm for a while or shut off, then have to reprime again. hesitating to buy a new housing due to cost would like to reline but cant find the part, is there a possible problem I'm missing? took it all apart just to do it and found nothing wrong, everything looks new, cuz it is. any help is appreciated. :cool:

Are you getting any water/spray discharge at all at slow speed? Normal condition is a light spray when thermostat is closed (idle speed). You do have it in the lake, don't you?

Water must be 8" above the impeller in a tub.-----Standard muffs do not work.----Thermostat must be complete.----Best test in the lake as stated.

Are you getting any water/spray discharge at all at slow speed? Normal condition is a light spray when thermostat is closed (idle speed). You do have it in the lake, don't you?

It seems to give a mist but doesn't increase when the thermostat opens, I have to rev it to get more discharge (prime) or it will overheat. once its primed ive had it run for an hour with no problem, if I shut it off process starts over again (lost prime) its in a 50gal water trough in the driveway, water is 6in above upper inlet.

This is a long shot, but maybe...... There are two water tubes. One for "water up" and one for "water return down". "Water up" has a spray hole in the side. If you swap them, you will have a cooling problem.

This is a long shot, but maybe...... There are two water tubes. One for "water up" and one for "water return down". "Water up" has a spray hole in the side. If you swap them, you will have a cooling problem.

I saw the hole didint think nothing of it but if your right that could be the problem, cold have been switched, now the sucky part, take it apart again.

Back