Logo

Grinding while shifting in Fwd and Rev

Marauder 72

hey guys i have been getting my boat all fixed up. It wouldn't shift without holding down the cut off switch due to a bad shift cable. I replaced it myself. I followed all the instructions in setting up the new cable. The issue i'm having now is when i shift the cut off switch doesn't engage. I set the new rear shift cable to 6" center to center in forward. Then adjusted the helm shift cable to fit right on in forward then turned it 4 turns. It shifts into reverse and forward equally and they both grind. The rear shift cable is the only one attached to the cut off switch lever but i have it set to the 6". I'm at a lose for how to make this final adjustment. before the shift cable went bad it shifted smooth with no grinding some say all alpha ones grind but this is loud and has to be doing damage. I was shifting out of water with no back pressure so i'm not sure if that is the problem but i did it with the old cable with no noise. I believe if i can get the cut off switch to engage it will help. Any advice on adjusting it is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!!

All Alpha drives will grind going into gear, your supposed to shift firmly and deliberately . The shift interrupter only should work coming out of gear IN THE WATER WITH A LOAD ON THE PROP

I will be putting it in the water tomorrow to see how that helps as i remember it didn't engage the shift interrupter coming out of gear either but again it was out of water so ill see how that goes.

Back