Logo

Gray marine 225hp gas in oil

dstnshpp

"need help - a new fuel pump w

"need help - a new fuel pump was put on last summer (mechanical). when we were winterizing, we noticed gas came out with the oil. Any ideas what could be causing this? The motor will start up (with a cloud of black smoke). Don't know if the carb is flooding, or if the rings need to be replaced. Maybe timing? Want to get this puppy running before it's boating season again!!"

"Dustin, was gasoline mixed wi

"Dustin, was gasoline mixed with the oil? When gasoline mixes with oil it dilutes the oil and you would not see it. Water in the oil would be quite noticiable, the water would settle to the bottom and sorta look like gas because of the coloration. Black smoke would be caused by oil in the combustion mix either by bad seals or worn piston rings or flooding of the cylinder at startup. Some question to help you narrow down the problem. Do you have to add oil during the season? How many hours are on the engine? Is there an oil filter on the engine?
Did it smoke before the new fuel pump was installed? Does it start hard, ie crank for a longer time than usual before firing. Could be as simple a a new set of plugs and points, or as bad as a blown head gasket (which is not the worst problem) I would check your spark plugs, if they show normal soot buildup and maybe one or two that are clean you need to replace that head gasket (cooling water entering the cylinder). With a bad head gasket your exhaust on the bad side would be more prominent.
Go with simple solutions first before fearing the worst. Hope this helps some.
Cal"

"Cal!
If your carb's are

"Cal!
If your carb's are leaking like I said before because they are not level, that would explain gas in your oil, the gas is getting by the rings, if the fuel pump is not leaking internaly. (You DO NOT WANT TO RUN THE ENG IN THIS CONDITION). you will wipe out your main and rod bearings lubrication breakdown. also the fact that the motor could blow up with the gas fumes internal to the motor. Hope I was of some help.
Fred"

"You might check the diafram i

"You might check the diafram in the fuel pump. In an auto fuel pump if the diafram is ruptured the gas goes to the outside of the fuel pump and onto the ground. The marine pump sends the fuel into the block, so that it won't spill into your bildge."

Back