Logo

Goofed and lost oil from upper gear case main bearing

vpamateur

I mistakenly removed the cover plate (4 screws in each corner) from the top of the upper gear case on my 2005 Volvo Penta DPX sterndrive, exposing a large roller bearing. (I had also removed the cap that covers this plate and the area where the shift cable attaches.) When I did this oil starting running out of a "weep" hole about half way down the side of the unit. It did not appear that I damaged a gasket or seal that might be under that cover plate but I'm not sure. I quickly replaced that plate but oil continued to run out for a few minutes. I lost probably a total of 2-3 oz of oil.

I'm a rank amateur in this area. Does this top plate have to be replaced with a specific torque? Should a seal be replaced? How to replace the lube (oil) that was lost? Is this a job that I should immediately refer to a qualified technician?

Thanks. vpamateur

If the boat was out of the water, you've caused no damage to anything other than gaskets and O-rings, and you've lost some gear oil.

DO NOT Re-Use any of these gaskets/O-rings.... period!
For the small cost of replacements, you'd be kicking yourself if you re-used any and developed an issue.

If you are doing this yourself, pick up an OEM service manual..... not Seloc or Clymers.... OEM.
If you have the manual in hand, there is less chance of misinterpretation, a mistake, etc.

Or..... have a professional do this for you.

OK.... now the A$$ Chewing:
Had you opened up the OEM service manual in the first place........, you'd not be in this predicament!

Look up the cost of a replacement drive, or drive components......, and then decide if you want to attempt this yourself.

Last edited:
Well, thank you for not getting upset at my A$$ Chewing! :D

By all means give this a shot yourself, but be careful, and it's over your head, seek the help from a pro.

Marineengine.com only lists Volvo OEM repair manuals up thru 2004. my boat is a 2005 Doral with VP 5.0 OSI-EFI engines and as mentioned, Volvo DPX stern drives. I assume the engines are also 2005 models. Where can I get a 2005 Volvo repair manual?

A Volvo Penta dealer should be able to provide the OEM service manual.

Are you sure that this is a 2005 DPX drive?

ME.com's system catches the S E X in marinepart S E X press.com and blocks usage.
Paste this into your browser, and fix the characters.
It will take you to an image of a DPX drive.

http://www.marinepart***press.com/images/DPX.gif

The DPX does not use the later Volvo Penta Gimbal system drive suspension.
These use main suspension fork and pivot tube geometry.... the good stuff.

Last edited:
You are correct. the picture you referred me to does not match my outdrive. so, although I have a 2005 model boat, it must have an earlier model DPX drive. I will contact a dealer with the serial number and see if I can determine what year model it is.

Thanks for your help.

Back