Logo

Gearcase casket on 1973 6HP

Scavenger

Hi All:

I noticed the gearcase oil on my 1973 6HP was milky, which I understand means that water is getting in. I decided to open up my first gearcase to see what the issue is. I looked at the gearcase parts diagram on this site and ordered: 303360 — "O" RING,GEARCASE HEAD, 313282 — OIL RETAINER, and some spagetti seal (I think that's what it was called) to replace the one between the two halves of the gearcase as the part wasn't listed here to buy. A forum post had suggested the spagetti seal and some Permatex 518 gasket maker.

I'm assuming replacing those three parts should deal with the leak. Maybe they all weren't necessary.

I have a few questions:

1 - how do I remove the oil retainer? It's fitted into the head bearing, which is an expensive part I'd rather not damage. :)

2 - should I put a bit of the Permetex at the ends of the spagetti seal to ensure a good seal? I've attached an image of the lower half with the old seal in place. You can see that it doesn't reach right to the head bearing.

This project actually got started when I tried running the outboard for the first time in a few years. I put in new plugs, fresh gas (50:1), and 1/3 can SeaFoam. It started on the second pull. I slowly putted around close to the dock. About 2 minutes in the motor stalled and smoke started coming out the hole where the pullcord goes in. When I rowed back to the dock I removed the cover. Engine was hot but nothing seemed to be melted. Once it had cooled down I tried pulling the cord to see if it was seized. Pulls fine. At that point I checked the thermostat and impeller. Both seem fine. Thermostat test started opening at 140F and fully open by 160F. The water intake screen is not plugged. What else could have caused the over-heating?

Thanks.

Evinrude-6hp-gearcase.jpg

I should have taken a picture before I cleaned up the existing seal and the channel it fits in. There was definitely some gasket product applied when it was it was taken apart previously, not by me, which would have supplied a much better seal than I'd get if I just used what you see in the pic. Thanks for posting the service bulletin - I'll certainly be more confident putting it back together.

Where the service bulletin mentions using Scotchgrip #847 as a sealer, should I use Permatex 518 or Permatex #3? Sorry, the specific use of each of these products isn't clear to me.

Back