Logo

Gear/shift control problem

rickt

First let me apologize. This prom occurred late last night....I have not done a "visual inspection" yet. I am scheduled to take a bunch of Scout tubing in a week so I need to get a jump on this.....Work does get in the way....

Last night as I was waiting my turn to pull my 1984 Mercruiser 305 5.0L out of the water. The gear selector became stiff...then would stall as soon as I put it into gear. It would start in nuetral...then die when it was engaged.

I remember reading something on this several years ago....

Please help

Thanks

Rick

Short shift cable binding issue causing the interuptor micro switch on the shift backet to engage. The interutor switch is supposed to work that way (interupt) when shifting out of gear only. if it does it when shifting into gear you have a problem.

Could be cable, shift linkage, issues with the lower unit.

Cant tell you exactly from here........

It does the same thing on the trailer ?

I would very much like to get you back on the water as soon as possible.

I have been a Cubmaster, Scoutmaster, Commissioner, and many, many, merit badges counselor, Motor boating, fishing, mechanix, shogun, rifle etc.

My oldest son has on 7-19-10 achieved the rank of eagle. The board of review was held in my home that evening. It has been a long path. My brother is An Eagle also.

Anyway pull a outing permit from your local council, that way your covered under the BSA ins. policy, believe me i don't wish a mishap , but why take a chance ?

Please post back, and lets see with all the excellent mechanical minds on the this board we can determine and talk you thru the best and least expensive fix.

Last edited:
I am dealing with some of the same things now.
The first thing I would do is to remove the shift cable that goes to the lower unit from the shift lever that is mounted to the engine.
I would push and pull on the removed end.
This will tell you if the problem is on the control side or the lower side

Thanks....I will do a visual inspection tonight. Yes I believe it does the same on the trailer. Pushing the "button" for Neutral seemed difficult as well.

I will post later tonight telling what I find.

Thanks again in advance.

Rick

I believe it's in the control box...I have a manuel...which does not show a thing. I will try an Internet search. I hope there is a rebuild kit for it.

I believe it's in the control box...I have a manuel...which does not show a thing. I will try an Internet search. I hope there is a rebuild kit for it.

disconnect the shift cable and see if its the cable or the shifter ...

cable problems/bellows leaking are common..does the boat take on water ...check bellows also for holes...

The shifter at the engine seems to be moving fine, I did not disconnect it, but it and the cable seem to move both directions freely.

I am having a hard time finding a schematic online. I will stop by a local dealer this am. I pulled apart the controller. It seems to me that a shim/washer may have disinegrated...without a schematic I cannot know for sure. Plus the push rod doesn't make sense to me....I see how it goes together,but it seems like a spring washer or something is missing.

Does anyone have a schematic out there? 1986 Mercruiser alpha one 305 5.0L 230hp "Commander" control

Back