Logo

Gear Lube

jay1216

"I have a 1990 120 can i use t

"I have a 1990 120 can i use tha quicksilver Hi performance gear lube or should i just us reg. 80-90 w gear lube? Does anybody know the right way to fill the LU i have three holes vent/fill and drain im waiting on the man, Ive heard people say fill from the bottom and others say from the top !@#% confusing Somebody help"

"if you can afford the nice st

"if you can afford the nice stuff, use it.

I've been working on boats professionally(doesn't mean anything) for about 8 years and I was taught that you want to fill from the bottom with the top open.

Because filling from the top will leave AIR bubbles at the bottom (till they slowly float up) tricking you into thinking it's full and then when you go run it, you'll eat the gears up.

Ok ? Make sense ?

The Oil Fill with the screw in tips are needed, and screw on to any quart oil bottle and they should be cheap about 10$ I think. WalMart has them too.. I think."

"thanks brian for the reply i

"thanks brian for the reply i got my manual sat. but i already changed the gear lube. hope i did it right i filled from the bottom. I think i was getting water in the LU, so gonna go run it some today if it dont rain and check on the LU after i get back i got new gaskets for the drain/fill. Is it hard to put a new seal kit in the LU. Thanks to baoting but learning its a real pain in the butt."

"i've changed a few basic

"i've changed a few basic seals on Chry lowers, but never got into the prop shaft area.

If you still get water in, drain the lube, and make extra sure you dont have 2 seals on one of the screws, you can put new ones on and try again, or purchase or maybe borrow a pressure/Vacuum tester putting some air into the case you can sometimes hear where the leaks are,(best to remove the drive) around prop or shifter shafts. make sure you dont have any fishing line behind the prop."

"hey brian just got back from

"hey brian just got back from the lake and checked LU seems to to be no water in there lube looks good. the hi performance oil should not mix with water right, so i pulled the drain plug and no water just oil drained out, looked brandnew. So i hope was just the fill/drain gaskets."

"that's great, keep an eye

"that's great, keep an eye on it.. dont forget to put some back in :)

Run a few more times, let it sit over night or 2 after running, and check again if you want.

yea, I think HI-Perf Oil will still turn grey or white with water in the mix, its hard to tell sometimes what people put in there drives, I know the good stuff STINKS when it's well used."

Back