Logo

Gas type

87 octane should be fine. That's what I use but I go thru a tank every 2weeks. If it going to be sitting for long periods of time get high test. Your motor will run just the same on regular as high test.

Can you even get 87 octane non oxy anymore? Don't think so. Whatever the answer is to that question, I guess it really doesn't matter, but you must steer away from ethanol for these older motors as alcohol will dissolve/damage anything of rubber composition. This includes the gas lines, crankshaft seals, motor mounts, and wire insulation. I have been in the Marine and outboard industry, and continuously VERY active, since the 1960s. Please spend the extra money for the ethanol free fuel and you will never ever regret that. Also good advice, noted above, is to run the motor dry on fuel before any storage period. If you are fueling up at a gas station that does not have a dedicated hose for their ethanol free fuel, then do one of two things. Do the math and make sure the last purchase was in fact ethanol-free, or run about 1/2 to 3/4 gallon into your daily vehicle and then put the rest in your outboard or other small engine fuel tanks. Most pumps will take about 2 to 3 quarts of fuel in order to change over back to the ethanol-free stuff. If you want to recover your loss, then restart the pump and select regular lower octane ethanol fuel and pump that extra half gallon back into your tank on the outboard, or small engine fuel can.

That's terrible news. I thought my Canadian friends were wiser than that. How can that be? What about collector cars and seasonal equipment?

Back