Logo

Gas for Diesel

DwightSellars

I have been given a 33 ft Chris Craft. It had two merc inboards that have been removed. I am a total fan of Diesel, both for reliability and safety reasons.
The boat had almost 700 horse with the gas engines,
Questions are:
First is it feasible,
Diesels seem to be larger and heavier for same horse power, is that true.
I dont have a need to blast off everywhere I go and also would like greater economics for gph. But , Obviously I need to get it up on a good plane.
Am I barking up the wrong tree.
Any thoughts.

No.

Being as you have little invested, doing the swap may make sense for you. for most of us, it just doesn't make economic sense to do the swap, even with today's costs. big question is what is your budget (now for the initial selection and for long term maintenance)?

Don't worry about the HP; worry about the torque as that is the parameter that makes the prop spin. You will find "smaller" HP diesels will usually provide better cruise than the 'normal' gasoline engines.

Known areas to verify:
1) make sure the hull is sound and the stringers can support the new driveline
2) shaft sizing - may need to be upgraded....I believe 1.5" OD is the minimum shaft for the range of diesels you'll consider.
3) fuel tank - may need to add return fittings - ideally, existing tank will have bungs and you'll just pull the plugs.

The other thought - check one of the chris craft sites and see if your version of hull every had a factory installed diesel option. If it did, you'll have a much higher level of confidence and also can get some more details (engine options, etc).

Back