Logo

fuel water seperator.

birdsbass&bucks

I have a evinrude / johnson water separator filter I have added to my fuel line for my outboard Johnson. How often should I replace it? Is it by how many hours I run or how many gallons of gas? Or just do it every year?

It traps and holds water.----So you should check it / dump it once in a while.-----Amount of water in your fuel tank depends on on local atmospheric conditions.------And whether boat is kept floating in water 24 / 7 or dry on a trailer.-----You will then learn how often to check it.

It so much depends on operating conditions, type of fuel, and how long between use. Ethanol blended fuel will suspend water and eventually separate, called phase separation. This will cause part of your octane, (since ethanol is the large source of octane in the fuel), to be removed by the water separator filter. And once this phase separation occurs the fuel can not be remixed as it was before. The result will be a dangerous fuel with low octane entering your motor. So be very careful and avoid prolonged storage of ethanol fuel..... In many conditions we can see phase separation in a matter of a few months. It's best to be safe and avoid ethanol because we don't want to suspend water. We would rather have the water separated at the separator/filter without harm to the fuel.

Back