Logo

fuel tank

Ok, I'll try.
The gas gauge is broke and the sight window is deteriorated so bad that even if the gauge was working you would not be able to see through it. The gauge and fuel connector are all one unit.
This tank is not vented through the gas cap, it's vented by the fuel connector. As you can see in the picture it has 3 probes, one for fuel, one for holding the connector on and a third pin that is pushed in when connected to fuel connector. Every fuel gauge unit I've found on the net, is minus the third pin. Apparently Yamaha has done away with that design and uses a vent screw on tank cap.

So that's my problem/quest. Find a replacement with the 3rd venting pin.

I hope this makes sense to you now.

It does. Make sense now. I would have just stated that I am trying to locate the fuel pick up probe/gauge and left it at that.

The Yamaha 1984 parts catalog shows the part number to be 6Y1-24260-02-00. Superceded by 6Y1-24260-19-00.

Images on the innerweb of the above part numbers do not show the third pin. I am wondering if Yamaha made a design change so that the third pin is no longer needed.

Even though the gauge is no longer stocked by Yamaha the hose end fitting is.

By the way, the vent screw has also been done away with. Thanks to the EPA.

I would have just stated that I am trying to locate the fuel pick up probe/gauge and left it at that.
I would have if I'd known the correct terminology for it. :D
If I can't find a NOS gauge (doubtful now), I'll just have to revert back to the time proven method of picking it up from time to time to check weight. This tank is to be used on my kicker, so knowing how much fuel is nice but not a critical thing. Beautiful tank, clean inside and out, that's the biggest reason for my rehab efforts.
Thanks
:)

Update:
After unsuccessfully locating a replacement fuel pick up/gauge, I got to looking closer at the new units without the vent and thought I just may be able to swap out the needed parts for mine. So I took a chance and ordered one from china for $15.
Parts fit perfectly and now the tank is complete.
gas tank.jpg

Back