Logo

Fuel Pump

jason

Contributing Member
" 83 Evinrude 50 HP

Here ar

" 83 Evinrude 50 HP

Here are the symptoms . . . all this happens on the water, by the way.

bulb goes soft after running
in line fuel filter from tank to engine goes empty
dies at idle (after a while)
dies in gear (low rpm)
runs rough

It does go to 4900 RPM's and runs fairly well the rest of the time. A little rough at WOT, but not bad.

What I have done -

-rebuilt carbs
-replaced fuel hose (tank to engine)
-replaced tie wraps with metal clamps
-have added Sea Foam to last tank of gas (still have it in tank) - had 1/2 full tank I added it to, then later added more gas and oil
-cleaned gas tank and filter on pick up tube
-cleaned fuel pump filter
-re-adjusted linkage
-replaced throttle cable

I am going to rebuild the fuel pump, but am wondering if I can just pull it apart and clean it, or are there parts that I need to replace.

So, does it sound like the fuel pump and, if so, clean or rebuild?

Thanks,

Jason "

Check compression. It is the

Check compression. It is the first thing that should be done in trouble shooting.

" I checked the compression wh

" I checked the compression when I first got it. That was about a month or so ago. Was good then . . . 155/160. Went to check it tonight and . . . SUDDENLY . . . it's gone. The tester that is. Poof - into thin air. David Copperfield would be impressed.

Gonna question the kid and wife tomorrow. Maybe they had something to do with it.

But, I did check that originally. And the motor runs pretty good up to 4900 RPM's. A little 'tinny', but not bad.

Thanks and does it sound bad enough that I should buy a new one for this (if I can't find it)?

Jason "

" Also, checked the plugs. Bl

" Also, checked the plugs. Black, oily, and wet. Mixed it a little rich last time about 25 oz. to the last 8 gallons I have put in. Should have been 21 oz. Wondering if that and the Seafoam is causing the fouling and rough running.

THanks,

Jason "

" Just tested the fuel pump. S

" Just tested the fuel pump. Spurted fuel out everywhere when cranking. Put new clamps on fuel lines.
I think my problem is with the plugs and fuel/oil/seafoam mix. I am going to run this out today, put in new plugs and gas next weekend.

See if this works out the rough idle.

Gonna rebuild the fuel pump anyway, only $14, takes 5-10 min. and it hasn't been done in almost 20 yrs.

Let me know if ya'll can think of anything else.

Thanks, "

" Check to see if you have an

" Check to see if you have an anti-siphon valve-if so, get rid of it... "

MAKE SURE TANK VENT IS CLEAR.

MAKE SURE TANK VENT IS CLEAR.YOU HAVE CHECKED EVERYTHING I WOULD HAVE DONE. HARRY

" After running it WOT for abo

" After running it WOT for about 20 min., she idled like a CHAMP! Then went downhill again, after about 20 min of low RPM operation.
Got most of the tank empty, though. Almost ran it out.

AND GUESS WHAT - Forgot to put the plug in. Had about a foot of water in the back when I noticed.
PANIC - started the bilge, layed on my stomach to reach the plug hole to plug it. Finally got it in, with about 2" of free board left before I got swamped. Whew . . . OK, now I have been indoctrinated.

LOL! Was a site to see, I bet. Me scrabling around trying to keep the boat from sinking, boat filling with water, and me cursing the whole way.

Anyway, will run tonight or tomorrow, with no Seafoam and correct mixture. I'll let you know the results.

Jason "

" Can anyone please help me.I

" Can anyone please help me.I need to know what the spark plug & point gap is for a 1972,,18hp Evinrude. thanks a bunch......Jake "

Back