Logo

Fuel pump / regulator rectifier

NitroB

I have a '91 115hp evinrude. I unhooked the oil pump side of the VRO and using the fuel pump side of the VRO, I've run the boat in the driveway a couple times at idle at low rpm and it starts and runs just fine. I took it to the lake yesterday and it runs fine at low rpm but at wide open throttle it runs fine for 20-30 seconds then it starts losing power like the gas is being cut off, but the motor doesn't cut off. Then when I take off again it runs fine and will do the same thing. Could this be the fuel pump side? This is the original VRO and has never been rebuilt but has low hours.

My primer bulb is not rock hard, it can be squeezed in an 1/8th of an inch or so, could the bulb be causing any of this? I would like the take the VRO off and switch to fuel pump #438556. How do I tie my fuel lines back in with the manifold/fuel rail that comes on the VRO system, because the line comes into the top of the manifold from the VRO.

Also, I've had problems with my tach working intermediately. I've heard it can be the rectifier going bad. I hooked a meter to the battery and my battery gauge shows 14.8v to 15v when the tach is not working. Like it's showing the battery is still being charged when the tach is not working. I unhooked the grey wire coming from the tach and hooked it up to the yellow/grey wire leading from the stator on the terminal strip, and the tach works when I did this. When I unhooked the grey wire and put it back on the strip where it goes the tach works too. Is this the rectifier going bad when the tach is working off and on but the battery is still charging, or is the tach going bad? Could losing power and this be related somehow.

Not the rectifier. I think you probably have a wiring problem. Loose or shorting wires or such. Check the 12V supply to the tach and/or the ground. Possibly even an intermittent ACC feed from the key switch.

Not the rectifier. I think you probably have a wiring problem. Loose or shorting wires or such. Check the 12V supply to the tach and/or the ground. Possibly even an intermittent ACC feed from the key switch.
Thanks I’ll check wiring.What about possible fuel pump problem?

Do you mean squeezing the primer bulb after it starts losing power? Like the gas is being cut off. If it loses power before or after 30 seconds would that indicate the fuel pump is bad? If I change the fuel pump to #438556 can I use this fuel manifold or is there still a way to use the one with the VRO pump?

Attachments

• IMG_2588.jpeg
    IMG_2588.jpeg
    11.1 KB · Views: 1
I have a '91 115hp evinrude. I unhooked the oil pump side of the VRO and using the fuel pump side of the VRO, I've run the boat in the driveway a couple times at idle at low rpm and it starts and runs just fine. I took it to the lake yesterday and it runs fine at low rpm but at wide open throttle it runs fine for 20-30 seconds then it starts losing power like the gas is being cut off, but the motor doesn't cut off. Then when I take off again it runs fine and will do the same thing. Could this be the fuel pump side? This is the original VRO and has never been rebuilt but has low hours.

My primer bulb is not rock hard, it can be squeezed in an 1/8th of an inch or so, could the bulb be causing any of this? I would like the take the VRO off and switch to fuel pump #438556. How do I tie my fuel lines back in with the manifold/fuel rail that comes on the VRO system, because the line comes into the top of the manifold from the VRO.

Also, I've had problems with my tach working intermediately. I've heard it can be the rectifier going bad. I hooked a meter to the battery and my battery gauge shows 14.8v to 15v when the tach is not working. Like it's showing the battery is still being charged when the tach is not working. I unhooked the grey wire coming from the tach and hooked it up to the yellow/grey wire leading from the stator on the terminal strip, and the tach works when I did this. When I unhooked the grey wire and put it back on the strip where it goes the tach works too. Is this the rectifier going bad when the tach is working off and on but the battery is still charging, or is the tach going bad? Could losing power and this be related somehow.

Any update? For those in search of top-notch writers, This https://writinguniverse.com/essay-types/argumentative-essays/ can be a valuable resource. This will provide reviews and evaluations, helping you identify the best essay writers online. Exploring platforms with positive feedback ensures quality work and a seamless writing experience. However, it's essential to exercise discernment and consider multiple reviews to make an informed decision.
Any update?

I replaced the primer bulb and went to the lake twice, thought that was the problem but it was still cutting out. I've just changed the fuel pump to #438556 and ran it on the hose in the driveway, it runs fine. The tach is still working off and on but the rectifier is still charging. Don't know when I'll be able to go the lake to run it and see if the gas is still cutting out.

the bulb does not need to stay hard when motor is running .-----what are the results of a comression test on this motor/-----Sorry key board issues today.

The bulb I had on it was from '91 and the new bulb stayed harder. The motor has very low hours, probably less than 100. It runs fine at low rpm and at wide open throttle after a few sec is when it feels like the gas is being cut off. It runs fine at low rpm again until I go back to high rpm. I have winterized the motor with fogging oil, it wouldn't stall the motor when I was fogging. I have not done a compression check, I'll do one when I start the motor next.

Thanks for the reply racer.

Back