Logo

fuel pump rebuild

tiller man

I have built and rebuilt the fuel pump on my 4 hp Johnson outboard. I have followed all directions but it will not pass the toot test. Inlet and outlet valves work just fine. What do I try next?

Ron

Easy to forget or mess these up if your not used to working with them. Have to try again and get it right, that's all.

You should be able to blow through the inlet and air comes out the line to the carburetor.----You should not be able to move air the other way.------It does not need to make a buzzing sound or toot like a trumpet !

Refer to the instructions on LeeRoy's ramblings. https://www.leeroysramblings.com/Rebuilding_fuelpump.htm

Note what he says in the preamble :
NOTE-- THESE ARE A PITA TO GET RIGHT THE FIRST TIME & MAYBE EVEN THE SECOND TIME AROUND, SO IF OR WHEN YOU DECIDE TO GO INSIDE YOUR PUMP BE VERY OBSERVANT.
and the final testing ( as Racerone has already said):
Fuel Pump Test
You SHOULD be able to blow thru the pump by blowing into inlet. You should NOT be able to blow thru the pump by blowing into outlet.

If the pump does not pass this test, disassemble pump and check the parts that must be in an exact position or must be in an exact relationship to other parts.

After pump is installed, squeeze primer bulb until firm. Check pump and connections for leaks. Correct any leaks before operating motor.​

Back