Logo

Fuel pump question, 82 evinrude 70

Nick0151

Regular Contributor
Hi guys,

Quick question, I take it this fuel pump is not the one with “shoulders”?

B0350774-641D-4DC2-8B15-FCA53251E103.jpeg

I would need the kit with number,

0398514​

I think mine is failing as if I pump the primer bulb I get fuel out of the vacuum hose at the back left I take it this should not happen?

Thanks

That appears to be an aftermarket pump.------Please post pictures when you have it apart.-------That kit would work on that pump I would think.

Thanks Racer never knew was aftermarket. Quick look on eBay have the exact same on there for £18 that’s about half what the kit would be to repair the one on there iv brought that.

When it arrives il take the one on the motor apart and send some photos.

6F79414A-1E34-4651-A44D-523E12E0D763.png

agree got a new one on order. If it was an genuine OMC pump would have paid the extra to rebuild but as it isn’t il replace. But will still take old one apart see what’s going on.

Take it should have been a valve of some sort to stop the fuel going into the vacuum hose?

Chinesiem junk... life span of about 3 weeks. Phillip head screws give it away. Body changed just enough so a OEM kit wont fit

I have the fuel pump on now. The old pump and the new both have hole in the back with a diamond shape gasket. The bracket where pump is mounted had a recess where port on the back would go but it’s sealed no ports to engine.

Is this correct and the seal will just seal it up?

Thanks

Nick

There is no direct mount over a pulse port on the 3 cylinder engines.---Never was.-----Now the part appears to have a hole in the back.----But that hole does not go anywhere !!----The pump mounts on the bracket and no gasket is needed there.

The pump only needs one pulse port.--Somebody has messed with that pump / part.------Plug that hole one way or another.----JB WELD is an option.

As old pump is the exact same what would that have done to the efficiency of the pump and or motor would that have caused low pressure as hole in the back?

Could it cause low power?

I did it ran with old pump had gasket on with hole in. I guess it’s make enough of a seal to work but can see it being perfect seal.

Just ran it in barrel can tell the low RPM range is a lot more responsive than before pickup is great taking out on Sunday to give real test along with head gasket and other bits will link and sync before head out for the day.

Back