Logo

Fuel pump opinions

6tring

Contributing Member
Lookin for input on the inexpensive unbranded fuel pumps found on Ebay for under $15.00. Lookin to have one as a tool box spare part for my 1965 Johnson 6hp. Are they of good quality? Or should I just stay away from those? Let's hear what you have to say.:confused::confused::confused::confused:

Last edited:
These original pumps are ultra reliable.----The only thing that can go wrong with that fuel pump is the diaphragm.------Install a new diaphragm and don't worry for 10 years.------Easy to adapt / make a diaphragm.-------That pump is easy to repair and maintain.-----Buy one of those " offshore " pumps and test it.-----Keep the good factory pump as a spare.

Last edited:
The killer of any diaphragm synthetic or latex rubber pump is ETHANOL. If you use ethanol, you are asking for failure. These, as Racer knows too, are reliable and simple. My 1965 Fisherman still has THE ORIGINAL PUMP, and still performs perfectly after over 3500 hours of use. These motors/fuel pumps, we're not engineered for 10 percent ethanol. Back in those days, it was distilled to DRINK!

I only use non ethanol (rec gas) in all my small engines PERIOD! I find it well worth the extra cost. I swear the engines run stronger and have better fuel economy. Clean tank,the best TWC oil along with an inline filter on the fuel line. It's like having a motor go vegan! LOL

What pump is on your motor now ?-----The factory original ?---Or one of the little square pumps that was first used in 1968 and used on models from 3 to 25 HP for many years !!

I have a 1965,1970 and a1975 6 hps They all have a square appearing pump.I purchased the motors used so if things were changed out previous I am unaware. Do not have a fuel supply problem with them.

So the 1965 had the newer pump installed.------These are wonderfully simple and reliable pumps.-------A new diaphragm is available all day long.----May not be listed for some models.-----But that pump was used up to 2005 models and motor up to 25 HP.-----No issues with these pumps as far as being able to pump enough fuel.-----Get yourself 3 new diaphragms and don't worry about fuel pumps for 10 years or more !

Back