Logo

Fuel line

eggharborrick

Contributing Member
what type of flexible fuel lin

what type of flexible fuel line is coast guard approved? replacing the hard fuel lines on my 85 silverton and doing away with that little fuel filter they so nicely tucked away in the rear of the motor you cant reach with a more user friendly spin in a easy spot. need a flexible line to go between the filter on the hull and the pump on the motor dont i??

"Here's some basic info on

"Here's some basic info on the fuel lines. I used type A1 when I installed my 8.1l engine.

Fuel Lines: Next to fuel tanks, the most likely source of a leak is in the fuel lines. With gasoline engines, the three types of fuel lines typically found on marine engines are flexible hose (USCG Types A1, A2, B1 and B2), steel lines (on the engine), and copper tubing. Because of vibration, metal fuel lines must be connected to the engine with a section of flexible fuel line. Joints should be checked for leaks periodically (use your finger). Make sure the lines are supported with non-combustible clips or straps with smooth edges.

Flexible hoses deteriorate over time; wipe them with a dry rag to see if there is an odor of gasoline. Any that are suspect should be replaced, but only with Coast Guard-approved "SAE J1527" hose, which is resistant to alcohol. Of the two types available, A and B, Type A is more fire-resistant than Type B hose and must be used at the fuel pump and carburetor where more than five ounces of fuel could spill if the hose is cut. Type 1 is a better hose because it has less permeation loss than Type 2. Every flexible hose should be clearly marked U.S.C.G. If not, replace it immediately"

You can tell at a glance if yo

You can tell at a glance if you have the right flexible fuel hose: a 5/16 size marine hose (for example) will have the OD of a 3/8 size hose. The idea is to delay the hose rupturing in a fire--the fire has to eat through more material before the hose starts spraying fuel about.

Jeff

"Hi, Happy New Year to all.

"Hi, Happy New Year to all.

Would you recommend to use the Banjo type connector for my Edelbrock 1409 carb. Have the carb. but not istalled yet. will that reduce the flow to the carb.?.

Henry G"

"If the banjo bolt is aluminum

"If the banjo bolt is aluminum, I don't think I would do it. Strength being the risk. It's a bad place to have an issue with strength or tightness."

For my setup Racor has 10 micr

For my setup Racor has 10 micron and 2 micron filter cannisters. Any problems with going with the 2 micron filters?

Back