Logo

Fuel line fitting size Crusader 454

bobct

Advanced Contributor
"While I'm waiting for my

"While I'm waiting for my intake gasket to show up, I went and had both of my flexible fuel lines re-made. The ones that go from the pump up to the shutoff valves.

Should I be concerned about the inside diameter of the fitting being smaller? The I.D. of the hose itself is the same. The I.D. of the fittings are not.

I was standing there when he made them up and verified the hose size. I pointed out that the I.D. of the fitting was smaller he said it would be fine.

This is a place that makes these types of hoses for all of the local marinas and they come highly recommended.

Using a drill bit, I believe the original is 7/32" and the new one is 5/32".

I'm envisioning a high speed fuel starvation during my spring launch by maybe I'm being paranoid. I asked the guy again as I was leaving and told him it was a big block engine will WOT be affected. He assured me no...

What do you guys think?

Bob"

"ok, here's a horrible pic

"ok, here's a horrible pic. I think the angle of the new hose might be off which could make it appear a little smaller.

I have copper line (measures 3/8" I.D., looks like 1/4" I.D. NPT) from the tank to the cutover valves. That's where these lines start and run to each fuel pump. Between 3-4'.

As I mentioned, the I.D. of the hose is the same as the old stuff, it's the fitting on each end that I'm concerned about. I guess the I.D. of the hose doesn't really matter though with a smaller I.D. on the fitting.

Am I over thinking this?
334820.jpg
"

"Bob,
A suggestion...if you

"Bob,
A suggestion...if you are not aware.
happy.gif

if you are using a recently made digital camera.............for closeup work use the macro function.....it really helps

this was taken with the lense less that 2 inches from the clip

334828.jpg
clip

"I can tell you that the inlet

"I can tell you that the inlet valve in the carb is 0.101" on a stock marine edlebrock. Your estimate of 5/32 is ~.15". So, the new fitting is not the smallest hole in the show. Restrictions on the vacuum side are more important, though.
Is this a brass fitting, easily drilled out, and with a lot of extra wall thickness?"

"I'm goimng to take a bett

"I'm goimng to take a better look today. The fittings are nickel plated (not sure what though).

I'm going to pull one off, I need to shorten the port engine anyway.

Drilling it out a little might be a good idea."

Bob; I wonder if you would get

Bob; I wonder if you would get the same volume of fuel to the pump with the smaller fitting I would guess that you were not the first customer that they have done this for so perhaps there is no problem maybe call a few other places that make hoses and get a few other ideas as to any changes as to supply or pressure.

"Like DD stated, the restricti

"Like DD stated, the restrictions on the suction side are more critical than the pressure side. The restriction will induce a pressure drop. Too much and the fuel will vaporize and all kinds of weird things can start. The problem, if it occurs, will get worse with rpm increase (need for more fuel).

You can always plumb in a vacuum gauge on the suction side, close to the pump, and see if too much pressure drop exists. Do it at the highest RPM you plan to run at. Check the manual for the range of acceptable values."

Back