Logo

Fuel Fittings

Genehereiam

First timer.

I've been out of the "boating business", so to speak for SEVERAL years.
I retired am READY to F-I-S-H..( Is this four letter word allowed........;) )

I bought a Nissan 9.8 (used).

I need to know if the fitting that connects to the engine is common to any other boat motor.
AND, I need to know which fittings will connect to my OMC gasoline tank.

I bought a pair of two (2) different fittings, hoping one of these fittings might fit the engine and / or the gasoline tank.............cross breed if you will ???

The fittings are Seasense (Brand).

One being P/N 50052272..............Johnson/Evenrude............Appears to fit the tank
The other being P/N 50052292.........Yamaha..................Appears to fit the engine.
Both labeled Female Fuel Connector.

Now, yesterday I tried to connect the fittings to the engine and the gas tank before hooking them to the fuel line.

The fitting that appears to fit the engine is a little SNUG on the guide pin.

The fitting that appears to fit the gas tank set just a little loose.

It appears the fittings might be the right size for fuel acceptance ???
I am NOT trying to fit a 1/4" on a 5/16" or anything DUMB like this.

The common denominator in all this ???
The fuel line (with primer bulb) is 3/8".
The fuel line end of the fittings are all 3/8".

I don't want a leak.

Anyhoo, If anybody can decipher all these words and give me a clue, I will appreciate you.

If I need to buy a new tank and fuel line specific to my 9.8, I will.
I just need to know what I need.
Do I need to buy items labeled "Nissan / Tohatsu " ???

Thanx, Gene

You are, of course, building an adapter hose. I assume you have an old metal Johnson/Evinrude tank, and that is why you want to adapt to it. I also assume that you have a very good condition primer hose/bulb. New generic plastic tanks are equipped with 1/4" NPT female threads, so they can use any tank connector -- so if you have a newer tank, just get the Part # 9999800MA2 Male fuel connector - Tank side 1/4" NPT. This is the connector that is installed on the fuel tank. Fits all Tohatsu models' primer hoses. List Price (MSRP): $6.27, and then use a Tohatsu primer hose.

But for your adapter hose, OMC is OMC, so the tank end should be OK.

The correct Tohatsu motor side connector for the primer hose is Part # 394702500M FUEL CONNECTOR - ENGINE/FEMALE (4-STROKE). This is the connector that is installed on the fuel hose that connects to the motor. Fits all 4-stroke models. List Price (MSRP): $14.92. This connector is listed as 5/16", but I have found that it is an "in between" size, and will fit either 5/16 or 3/8. I use them on 3/8 hose all the time.

If your primer hose is in any way questionable, I would probably just get a Tohatsu primer hose, either the very good quality Factory unit, Part # 3H6702001M List Price (MSRP): $58.15, or the acceptable-quality aftermarket Part # 99998PBA4M List Price (MSRP): $46.42, and then, if you need to adapt it to an OMC end, just cut off the Tohatsu tank connector and clamp on the OMC connector.

You are, of course, building an adapter hose. I assume you have an old metal Johnson/Evinrude tank, and that is why you want to adapt to it.

Correct.

I also assume that you have a very good condition primer hose/bulb.

It's a new primer hose/bulb.

New generic plastic tanks are equipped with 1/4" NPT female threads, so they can use any tank connector -- so if you have a newer tank, just get the Part # 9999800MA2 Male fuel connector - Tank side 1/4" NPT. This is the connector that is installed on the fuel tank. Fits all Tohatsu models' primer hoses. List Price (MSRP): $6.27, and then use a Tohatsu primer hose.

But for your adapter hose, OMC is OMC, so the tank end should be OK.

The correct Tohatsu motor side connector for the primer hose is Part # 394702500M FUEL CONNECTOR - ENGINE/FEMALE (4-STROKE).

Are you suggesting the same brand parts I bought at WallyWorld being "Seasense" ???

This is the connector that is installed on the fuel hose that connects to the motor. Fits all 4-stroke models. List Price (MSRP): $14.92. This connector is listed as 5/16", but I have found that it is an "in between" size, and will fit either 5/16 or 3/8. I use them on 3/8 hose all the time.

If your primer hose is in any way questionable, I would probably just get a Tohatsu primer hose, either the very good quality Factory unit, Part # 3H6702001M List Price (MSRP): $58.15, or the acceptable-quality aftermarket Part # 99998PBA4M List Price (MSRP): $46.42, and then, if you need to adapt it to an OMC end, just cut off the Tohatsu tank connector and clamp on the OMC connector.

Gotcha...................I think...........I'll keep all this info for reference.
I FINALLY made contact with a business in Knoxville that is ordering a fitting that is supposed to do the Tohatsu end of this set up.....He is supposed to have it by Monday..............I will take my engine along to make sure what he gets will fit................I really appreciate your replies...................I might end up with a plastic tank for noise abatement in my aluminum boat???...................For now, I want to get this motor running to see what I "bought online"..............Always a GAMBLE ???!!!

Thank you.

Back