Logo

Ford 5.0L questions

shamrock20

Contributing Member
I did not receive any answers on the Pleasure Craft post so here goes again.

I have a 1987 PCM 5.0L Ford engine. It sounds like it is missing every now and then at around 2300 RPM. It's WOT RPM is around 3300 but did reach 3600 one time. It has the standard 13X13 prop. I have changed the sparkplugs with Champion SS, rotor cap and plug wires. It is an electronic ingition.
I am thinking the carb (Holly 2V) needs rebuilding.
Also what are your thoughts on an aluminum intake manifold and a 600 cfm Holly 4V.

WOT sounds a bit low. Check the service/owner's books and check but I'm thinking it should be at least 4000.

Carb may need rebuilding...I'd check the timing and make sure you getting full advance, especially if the distributor is a "convert" to electronic.

You fuel could also be stale which will inhibit full WOT.

aluminum intakes are ok as long as they are treated for the marine environment. If you go to the same spot all the time, check with the "locals" as they will have the first-hand experience.

A 600 CFM carb is overkill for that engine but is probably the smallest you can find. going that route eliminates the need for the overhaul but introduces other options.

Thank you, great advise.

The book says 4,000 RPM. I think I will rebuild the carb. I have done this before so it should not be a problem. I raced Fords with Holly 4v carbs back in the 70's.
I think I will just stick to the 2V and enjoy the boat and fishing. Speed is not as important these days. They do make a 500 cfm 2V if I need to upgrade.

Back