Logo

Ford 351 confused troubles

croper

"I have a 1976 fiberform with

"I have a 1976 fiberform with a 351 windsor. It had a 14 inch prop and maxed out at 4600 rpm. Went to a 15 inch prop and maxed out at 3400 rpm. Had a some electrical problems so replaced the coil, starter, solonoid, distributor cap
, points, and condensor. Put the original prop back on and it now has a max rpm of 3300 and sucks gas at about 15 gal /hr. It seems to run smooth but is a pig. Has a 2 barrel. Would a 4 barrel be better on fuel and increase power? Still am stumped on the max rpm thing. Help please."

"on the prop - talking pitch o

"on the prop - talking pitch or diameter?

Rotor changed - didn't see it in the list?

Most likely a poorly connected plug lead at the plug or the plug leads are out of order in the cap. suggest getting out the manual and check each and every wire for correct location and a secure connection.

Get it running correctly before worrying about the carb...The 4 bbl may give you a bit more on the top end and throttle response but with extra fuel consumption. Overall, there isn't a lot 'power' you can liberate with bolt-ons."

"Ditto on Makomark. But would

"Ditto on Makomark. But would also check the timing and recheck the point setting. Sounds like your timing is off, possibly too retarded. It will sound right, but won't produce the horsepower."

"START WITH THANK YOU:
I RECE

"START WITH THANK YOU:
I RECENTLY HAD MY ENGINE REPLACED. BEING TOLD BECAUSE HE TRANSFERED OLD PARTS, "MR.FIXER SHOP" IS NOT RESPONSIBILITY. AS I PAID TO HAVE MY MARINE ENGINE REPLACED. Q?WHAT SHOULD OF BEEN REPLACED/AND OR REPAIRED WITH A ENGINE REPLACEMENT.
MOM AND SON"

"Angie,

This is a difficult

"Angie,

This is a difficult question to answer since we all don't know what type of replacement engine was used. Replacement marine enigines come in variuos configurations. Some are just the block with pistons and cam shaft. Some come with block, heads, valve covers, internal water pump, harmonic balancer. In either of these cases all other parts (i.e, ignition parts, carburator, manifolds, cooling, etc.) are transferred from the old engine onto the new. Some replacement engines come totally complete. The guy that did the replacement should be able to give you a run down on what old parts were used."

Back