Logo

Force 50 rectifier

Andy Parkes

I've just bought a Force 50 outboard with a traditional old Bayliner 17 Capri.
The engine is running sweetly but the battery is throwing out some strange readings and is then losing charge. Other comments on the internet convince me the rectifier has gone. Are the parts easily available and is it easy to fit?
Engine model is: 507X90D serial number is: 025333

thanks Andy Parkes

The rectifier is pretty easy to swap out - 4 wires and a screw.

However, the OEM rectifier for this model is no longer available. In fact Merc has stopped supporting the Force line altogether - whatever is left in stock is all there is, they aren't having anymore parts made.

There is an aftermarket rectifier available for this built by CDI/Rapier (who also makes most ignition parts for Force models running Prestolite ignitions - and their line was/is often superior to the OEM stuff).

Anyhow, it sells for about 50 bucks and it's CDI part number 155-9450.

Incase you are interested and didn't already know, that motor is a 1990 model.

There is a warning with these rectifiers - not to use them with maintenance free batteries (you must be able to remove the battery caps). These rectifiers (including the OEM versions) are NOT regulators, you can get anything from 12-18 volts out of them.

Because of that you MUST use a Marine battery which will act as a regulator in the system and you must be able to maintain it (add water) since this regulator can over charge and boil the battery to some extent...

Most parts from 1990 on back are still readily available, and the rectifier is one of them. Type in Force Outboard Parts on any internet search engine and you will find many on line suppliers. Try I-Boats or Marine Wholesale for two I have dealt with. E-Bay is loaded with parts sellers also.

Galamb, Thanks ever so much for the advice. I've gone onto the internet and bought the exact part I need for $71. I'd be really grateful for just a bit more advice - please, please, please tell me this can be fitted without removing the flywheel? Any help on exactly where this part is located would be much appreciated - I don't seem to be able to spy it easily. Could I access a diagram somewhere?
thanks again
Andy

PS. Rogercom - If the engine is 1980 that would make perfect sense, the boat is 1990 so I assume they are still the original pairing.

Hi, I'd really appreciate it if someone was able to point me in the right direction on this one.

I have bought this part (see link below) and am told that it definitely doesn't sit under the flywheel. Instead I'm told it sits on the side of the engine somewhere with the other electrics, but, I just don't seem to be able to spot it.
Can anyone advise how I can identify the current rectifier on my 1990 Force 50 so I can replace it?
Thanks very much indeed.
Andy

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=170211288990&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWNX%3AIT

I'm not super familiar with the 50 horse models, but other Force models have it on the right hand side (if you were looking at the carb throats) - and no, with the exception of the water-cooled regulators used on some OMC models, the rectifier is almost never under the flywheel.

If this is an electric start model, simply follow the red wire (one goes down to the battery the other feeds from the rectifier).

Back