Logo

Force 120 Single Cylinder Not Firing

wtaddington

I have a 1999 Force 120 that has a single cylinder (Number 1) not firing. I have replaced the plugs and wires. I swapped the 1 and 2 coils and the problem does NOT follow. I checked continuity on all wires from the trigger to the coils. All are good. I checked V on each wire to the coils while running and they all match to each other. I am not sure what the trigger V should be but on a Multimeter(Average) it reads between .7V and .9V. I imagine with an oscilloscope that V is running up and down. Not sure what the trigger value is. I also do not know what should be reading from the kill system black with yellow tracer. It seemed to be battery voltage. I actually replaced the trigger despite the measurements and it did not help. Any suggestions on where to go with it.

The one cylinder does not have spark. All Cylinders have 150+psi compression. When you unplug the coils one at a time 2,3 and 4 make the engine stumble. 1 there is no change. It actually runs pretty smooth with a dead miss, but pops is the exhaust periodically due to raw fuel on other cylinders flame.

Sounds like you got a bad CDM module or stator. Flip the wht/grn-grn/white wires on stator and see if problem follows

I have swapped the 1 and 2 CDMs and the problem does not follow the swap. It stays on 1 which tells me the #1 CDM is not bad.

If the stator was the problem would it not effect all the cylinders? I will go back and check but I believe that grn/wht wire had 200ish volts on it. All 4 CDM grn/wht were the same. And when the engine in running I am getting 14-15V system voltage.

So I found a little info. If I do what you say and swap the Grn/Wht and Wht/Grn wires, I would be looking for the number 3 cylinder to stop sparking? Since 1/2 run on Wht/Grn and 3/4 run on Grn/Wht.

Back