Logo

Fogging Crusader 1986 350hp carbed

bluedog2

"I fogged my engines following

"I fogged my engines following Thermotrons instructions in the owners manual by slowly pouring 20w oil down the carb (6 oz.), then adding the last 2 oz rapidly to stall the engine. Well, all the oil went into the the carb but the engine did not quit and instead knocked rather hard from the back cylinders. I then pulled the center wire on the distributor and it quit. I think I poured in the oil slow enough, except for the last bit. However, I really don't like the idea of oil locking the engine and possibly bending something. I did't want to force it over with the starter after the fact and have decided to pull the plugs in the spring before spinning the motor. It seems the potential for damage by locking the motor is greater than the value of fogging the top end. I've decided to spray some light lube (CRC, etc) down the carb next year instead of pouring the oil. Any thoughts? Tim"

I use CRC Engine Stor Fogging

I use CRC Engine Stor Fogging Oil 16 Ounce Aerosol Spray. I never get the smoke the way I want. Some say to use two cans spay at once. I layup for only 10 weeks so dont worry too much.

"Tim:

If you used 8 oz and

"Tim:

If you used 8 oz and split it between the primary bores, you have little chance of locking up the engine hydraulically.

I found the 'spray' products much easier to use. Like Scott inferred, I've always used two cans at once and never had an issue in a couple decades of performing this annual ritual. Biggest benefit to the spray stuff is better 'distribution' throughout the intake.

The 'formal' winterization steps I've seen call for removing the plugs, even after fogging, and squirting some oil into each cylinder. To be honest, I've only done it once and we rarely did it in the shop where I 'moonlighted' for many years."

"Yikes! The marina mechanics

"Yikes! The marina mechanics love guys who do it that way! Much safer to spray it with the motor cranking over, plug wire out of the distributor.

Hell, it ain't THAT necessary for a few months anyway. Think of how many cars sit that long on a used car lot or etc. and run fine.

Jeff"

Thanks for the replies. It so

Thanks for the replies. It sounds like I own my engine an apology. Maybe I'll get him a new set of plugs as a make up gift. Next year I'm switching to the spray it and/or forget procedure. Tim

There seems to be a strong bel

There seems to be a strong belief in this procedure. What is supposed to be accomplished by using it? I use my boat all year so I have never thought of it. Maybe I would not have had as much trouble when I laid my boat up for 2 years in the middle of this decade if I had used this procedure. I am just now getting it running sweet again after three years.

Now that the engines and generator are running fine I need to change my photo in which I am scratching my head because I didn't know what to do next. Jeff suggested kicking the generator overboard. I came close but am glad I didn't.

Chuck Hanson

"Chuck,

I am with you. I b

"Chuck,

I am with you. I bought my boat from a guy that obviously had done nothing to the engines are anything else for 5 plus years. Each year the engines run better and better...i hope the trend continues!!"

"Chuck:

The idea is to indu

"Chuck:

The idea is to induce an anti-rust agent into the intake system to ensure the combustion chambers are coated during the 'storage season'. If done properly, it will 'preserve' the condition of the engine at least six months beforoe needing to be repeated.

Same also applies to extended storage/non-use. The only drawback to doing it is the expense which is minimal."

Back