Logo

Flywheel wont engage 90hp 1990 johnson

steve

Contributing Member
" there is a mechanism(mot

" there is a mechanism(motor) that is suppossed to push up the flywheel engager that in turn starts the flywheel. However, this piece only spins and does not go up when i turn the key. Can somebody please tell me what i can do to fix this. In the past, it would eventually pop up after a few cranks or i would tap it and it would eventually go up, but now it is not going up at all. What is the name of this device, and if you think i might need a new one, how much do you think it would cost. And is replacement of this device a complex job.

thanks for your help in advance,
Steve "

"Steve.... That item is caller

"Steve.... That item is caller a Starter Bendix Drive. Usually, if all connections are clean and tight, and the starter spins fast as it should, the problem is due to having somebody put grease on the drive splines (Grease Collects Dirt). THis will cause the bendix gear to stick. Clean the grease off if it exists and simply spray the bendix with WD40 which will act as a proper lubricant. That should cure your problem.

Be sure (even if they seem tight) to remove and clean the battery cable ends and the battery posts, then re-attach them, tightening the nuts with a wrench or pliers (Not By Hand). If a cable is loose or has a faulty (dirty) connection, that will cause a voltage drop, and that cable will feel hot to the touch.

Joe
"

" Joe,

Thanks for the promp

" Joe,

Thanks for the prompt reply, and i will clean and wd40 it.

When you say clean the grease on the drive splines, where exactly are the drive splines?

Is there any reason to open up the starter if it spins fine?

and finally, what makes the starter go up to engage the flywheel?

sorry for all the questions.
Steve "

"Steve.... The splines are the

"Steve.... The splines are the grooves that the gear travels upwards on towards the flywheel teeth.

There is no reason to take the starter apart if it spins as it should.

The gear spins upwards due to centrifugal force that is created by the sudden turning of the starter.

Joe
"

" Thanks for your help Joe,

" Thanks for your help Joe,

I wd-40 the starter, and then went to check the battery cables at the battery. As i went to remove the nut on the battery terminal, the positive cable connector coming from the moter snapped at the battery. The cable looks ok, but the connecter to the battery broke. This may be why the starter was having problems...

Now i have to find another large connector for the positive terminal for this cable.

Thanks for your help.
STeve "

Just a follow up on the start

Just a follow up on the starter that would just spin and not jump up and engage the flywheel.

I took the starter in to get worked on at my local marine shop and they say they replaced a few inside parts.

I took it back home and it still didnt work. So I went and bought a new marine starting battery and bingo. The starter was not getting enough juice.

Thanks for all of your help Joe.

steve

Back