Logo

Flywheel Magnets

6tring

Contributing Member
Has the flywheel magnets ever been know to lose their strength as to have possible loss of induction on the coils to cause weak or no spark. Just pondering.:confused:

As always thanks for the comments, Don

What motor ??-------In the 1930's and 40's they used to recharge the magnets.-----So not an issue on a 1970 model 6 HP motor.-------But not needed on motors in recent times.----So what is your motor doing / not doing ??

Last edited:
No issues with my 3 motors {6hp 65/75 Johnson /70 Evinrude } Just was curious and had to ask about the magnets I plan replacing the head gasket, coils, points condensers on the Evinrude for break down prevention as they are original parts.

Magnets are ZERO maintenance on those motors.------Some later motors have magnet bonded in place and there are issues with the epoxy on those at times.

I think our boater is just curious as he may have seen magnet problems posted regarding other motors and/or models. Mercury's can be problematic. Who would ever guess that a magnet which is "glued" on could possibly ever come off after 1500 hours and 25 years of vibration and rotation??? Huh? Brilliant engineering, BRILLIANT!

I read somewhere if you remove the FLYWHEEL and keep it removed for
sometime to lay a wrench on the magnets. If this is true I would
think something more like a round piece of steel smaller than
the inside radius of the magnets. We need a magnet engineer.

Could be, but I really don't think it matters. I've used flywheels that have been in the shelf for 20 years or more. Tested magnet power with an accurate scale and compared pull to a flywheel directly off a similar/running motor....and no difference. Just use a digital fish scale, hook it to a small combination wrench, then pull on it, noting weight when the wrench pulls loose from each magnet.

Last edited:
I read somewhere if you remove the FLYWHEEL and keep it removed for
sometime to lay a wrench on the magnets. If this is true I would
think something more like a round piece of steel smaller than
the inside radius of the magnets. We need a magnet engineer.

That bar of piece of steel is called a "keeper". It supposedly retains the magnetism on the old iron magnets used before WWII. Totally un-necessary on the modern magnets made since WWII.

Back