Logo

Flat rate book question

trynhooker

Regular Contributor
Looking thru the manual (10th edition) for instance on a warter pump overhaul.An evinrude 115 shows 2.6 hrs. Now look at the Lower unit section and it shows lower unit gearcase assembly-r/r of 1.2 hrs.Do shops usually charge both of the times to quote a water pump job or do they just use the time listed for the waterpump, which is 2.6 hrs?It appears the 2.6 hrs would cover the time to r/r the gearcase but I'm not certain if you should charge both times?

Well I think I found my answer, guess I don't remember reading it.The definition for overhaul states--overhaul means to recondition the components of the described assembly or subassembly and includes r/r of the assembly or subassembly if the components cannot be overhauled without doing so.So the waterpump overhaul2.6 hrs would include r/r of gearcase

My post wasn't asking whether 2.6 hrs for a water pump was reasonable or not, that's just what the book listed. Of course you can do it in less time, but if your running a business you usually charge the flate rate time or your not gonna make money..

The book works for both the customer and the tech...

On the tech side - I won't charge any more than the allotted time in the book (unless there are adds due to corrosion, broken parts etc.) whether it takes me the same amount of time or half the time.
On customer side - if it takes more than the allotted time you only get billed for the allotted time, the extra time is just on us.

And I agree with Boobie, as many SW engines take a considerable more time depending on what is corroded - hasn't been touched in years..lol

Even with some of the older Evinrudes, the way they made the shift rod connection (underneath the front of the block) is insanely hard to align back up and get the screw back in it...I' have done quite a few of those motors, some are easier than others..

My post wasn't asking whether 2.6 hrs for a water pump was reasonable or not, that's just what the book listed. Of course you can do it in less time, but if your running a business you usually charge the flate rate time or your not gonna make money..

The book works for both the customer and the tech...

On the tech side - I won't charge any more than the allotted time in the book (unless there are adds due to corrosion, broken parts etc.) whether it takes me the same amount of time or half the time.
On customer side - if it takes more than the allotted time you only get billed for the allotted time, the extra time is just on us.

And I agree with Boobie, as many SW engines take a considerable more time depending on what is corroded - hasn't been touched in years..lol

Even with some of the older Evinrudes, the way they made the shift rod connection (underneath the front of the block) is insanely hard to align back up and get the screw back in it...I' have done quite a few of those motors, some are easier than others. This service https://edubirdie.com/ helps me with professional writing samples and analyzes on any book or manual.
In my experience, it's not uncommon for a water pump replacement to take more than 2.6 hours, especially on older or more corroded engines.

I see you don't wanna lose money by charging less than the book time, but I think it's more important to be honest with your customers about how long the job will take))

So the best way to handle this is to give the customers an estimate of the time it will take, and then let them know that the actual time may vary. This way, I make sure they're not surprised if the job takes longer than expected.

Cheers,
Beverly

Back