Logo

Few issues appreciate the assistance

Outboard_Noob

All,

I have a few issue's i'm trying to troubleshoot.

- Tachometer isnt working. (Purchased a replacement (old had a broke needle). Powers on but no reading.
- Starting Battery not charging. I tested readings and when the engine is on the reading drops a bit. I know its suppose to go up to charge.

In doing some research I'm asking if this could be a bad Powerpack. The current powerpack is CDI Cd4 Power Pack Part #584027.
Anyway to test this before purchasing a new one? Just want to be sure its not something else. Also, with both issues i'm having could this potentially be resolved by replacing the powerpack?

Thank you!

This sounds like your regulator/rectifier is bad. It controls charging and the feed to the tachometer.

Thank you for the info. I was doing more research and seen a post about the Stator. After reading it I see that I have a few symptoms of a bad one. I recently purchased the boat/motor. I see black what looks like melting under the flywheel. Post states that the engine was probably overheating at one point and causes the stator to melt.

The boat seems to run good. I'm not 100% sure if its running exactly how it should. I don't have history on it.

Would you recommend changing the Stator and the Regulator/Rectifier? Anything I can check as to what caused the melting?

Thank you!

I agree with Racer that you need to check and post your compression numbers. No sense throwing money at something that will never run right. But that "melting" does sound like you will need to replace your stator. The engine doesn't have to overheat for your stator to melt down. They can do it on their own.

I agree with Racer that you need to check and post your compression numbers. No sense throwing money at something that will never run right. But that "melting" does sound like you will need to replace your stator. The engine doesn't have to overheat for your stator to melt down. They can do it on their own.

Compression on all 4 are around 105-110.

I'm having an extremely tough time figuring out which part # for my rectifier. I bought the boat used and again I'm handy but dont know to much about Outboard motors. After looking at the motor it DOES NOT have a rectifier installed. Guessing previous owner removed it. Now i'm worried why.
The motor runs good. Tach and Battery dying. Now I know that are two of the issues that may be resolved with a rectifier.

Part Number - TE115TLETS - Evinrude Tracker 115 hp 1993. It has power trim.

I went to authorized dealer and picked up Part Number 0585195. Looks like parts are superceded all the time. So while looking stuff up I find different parts. Ex. 0584204
Will 585195 work on this motor?

Really appreciate everyone going out of the way to assist.

The motor did not come from the factory with just a rectifier.----It came with the water cooled rectifier / regulator.----585195 should work.

The motor did not come from the factory with just a rectifier.----It came with the water cooled rectifier / regulator.----585195 should work.

I installed the water cooled rectifier.
Tach still doesn't work and charging system is not operating
Anything I can test to continue troubleshooting?

Did you test or replace that stator? CDI electronics has a good testing protocol you can follow. But if it melted, it needs to be replaced. The charging portion of it can fail.

Did you test or replace that stator? CDI electronics has a good testing protocol you can follow. But if it melted, it needs to be replaced. The charging portion of it can fail.

I have not tested or replaced the stator yet. I did find [FONT=Verdana,Arial,Tahoma,Calibri,Geneva,sans-serif]https://www.cdielectronics.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/CDI%20Troubleshooting%20Guide%20-%202012.pdf
Guess next step is to test Stator. Looks like I need a "special" multimeter with DVA to test.
[/FONT]

The DVA adapter is not needed to check the battery charging side of the stator.----That is used to check peak voltage output of the ignition side of the stator.

The DVA adapter is not needed to check the battery charging side of the stator.----That is used to check peak voltage output of the ignition side of the stator.

Replaced Stator and the system is now charging and Tach is working.
One issue remains. The engine is running good but the tach is not registering above 2000 rpms. The motor is going above but tach is not showing it.

Back