Logo

F9.9, pull starter replacement, and a few more questions

roostertail

New guy here to annoy everyone with my new guy questions!

I have a 2000 year model Yamaha F9.9. I just bought this boat/motor last week. My first "voyage" wasn't very successful :(. The motor was hard starting, cold natured, and would not idle.

Of course on my test drive, the motor ran perfect. On my first run as a new owner, she wouldn't idle. I fixed that by replacing the spark plugs, drilling out the brass "tamper proof" cap on the idle mixture and adjusting it to spec. The idle mixture was set to "one turn out" from the factory. My FSM says 2.5- 3.5 turns out! She runs good now after a throttle linkage adjustment to go along with the idle adjustment. It starts on one pull now and idles smooth as glass. :cool:

First question; Since this motor has been "cold natured" its whole life, according to the PO/original owner I bought it from, the starter rope and starter unit has taken a beating. The rope needs replacing and the rope will not retract.

My FSM says the power unit and flywheel must come out to replace the starter unit but I swear it looks like it will come out without doing that much work. I have ordered a replacement starter unit and was hoping I could just pop the old one out and bolt the new one in.

Thoughts????

Second question; The timing belt looks to be the original. Its in good shape, hardly no play. My question is: Is this motor an "interference" motor, will the valves/pistons, be damaged if the belt breaks while running? My plan is to replace the belt at some point down the road, and if I have to remove the flywheel to put the starter in, the timing belt will get done at the same time.

Third annoying new guy question; I need a motor cowling, mine is cracked where the front latch holds the cover in place. I have priced a new one at $250 :( Where can I source a good used one other than ebay, they don't have any right now.

A little background on me, I am a diesel mechanic and I work for Toyota and repair Toyota commercial/industrial equipment.

TIA

Jon

Back