Logo

F115 prop/lower unit question

wiguyy

Hey guys,
Quick question on a 2006 F115. Getting conflicting information everywhere and hoping to sort it out so i can get this right since WI fishing season is upon us! Im putting a Quicksilver/Merc Trophy prop on my '06 F115 and was originally told to get the 835271Q2 prop hub kit. This did not work, says 115 but i believe for older 2 strokes. Was told I should get the 835274Q1 or the 8M0075402 (but dont have 2 piece). So was ready to order one and a guy called from up north and said i need to get 835271Q09 Now im not sure which one i need? Neither list 115 in theyre applications, just 150 and up and certain other models but told the F115 is included in there.

Any help would be apprectiated

'06 F115 is a 15 spline, 4.25" gearcase. The only other necessary variable needed to know when choosing a prop is whether you have a right or left hand rotation engine. 4.25" gearcase translates to a prop diameter between 13" and 14", but most common diameter offered and used is 13.25".

And also, to my knowledge props are not designed to be used for a specific stroke engine. The operators responsibility is to choose the correct size diameter/spline/rotation prop for the engine. The stroke of engine bears no weight, as I have an older 2 stroke Yam. And it has a 4.25" gearcase, just like the newer F115 models have.

The pics below are taken from Mercury's prop index. As you'll see, the Merc Trophy prop is offered in 2 pitches sizes for your engine (13.25" diameter), 17" & 19". The specific Flo Torq kit to use for your F115 is also pictured below, highlighted in yellow.

Merc Prop.jpg

Yam2.jpg

Last edited:
Thank you for your reply. One thing i did forget to mention that may be relevant is this engine originally had a jet lower unit and was replaced with a new lower unit to get a prop on it so may have a 150 lower unit on it? It is a trophy 13.25x19 that is going on the F115 that is on a Xpress hyperlift and these boats like these props with pad to prop set right and jackplates. I dont have pictures of the trophy but it is a trophy and has the ventilation ring/exhaust seal ring on the outside of the prop. Could this interfere with it? I didnt look to closely, its been raining and busy with work. The kit i have, that you highlighted in yellow, is the 835271Q2 and thats the one thats not working. The thrust washer doesnt even look similar to the oem one like few other kits do. This is the washer from the engine and laid out prop like how it came off. the edge closest to my hand is the side that goes towards the gearcase.
Thats the part thats getting confusing now is being told I need 835274Q1 or 835271Q09 or something else now. Asked a few Xpress guys since these usually come with yamahas and havent gotten a good answer since i would think the 75/90/115 are all pretty similar and lots of people have put Merc props on.
IMG_3559.jpgIMG_3560.jpg

Last edited:
If the gearcase is off of a 150 and the hub kit installed in the prop is designed for a 115, then that's probably the issue. In which case you'd need a prop a hub kit intended for a 150. Because both of what you have are for 115 motors (geracases).

I can't say for certain, i just brought that up at one point and a guy said that chances are there may be a 150 lower on there because of the jet drive rating or something. Not really sure if true, otherwise ill have to look up some part numbers or something on the lower, if able, and see if i can match up if its really a 115 head on a 150 leg but on a parts finder, i looked at 115 and showed the thrust washer being the same part as one on a 150. (parts were listed under 2006-later)

Last edited:
This just occurred to me...what is the model number of the engine (located on left side of bracket)? If it's F115TJ...then it's a high thrust/jet drive motor converted to standard drive. If the TJ are not in the model number then it's a standard four stroke. I'd first determine this before doing anything else. I don't know anything about jet engines, but if it is a jet drive it seems unlikely the LU of a 150 would be compatible...since the 150 is a 6 cylinder and the 115 is 4.

Last edited:
Back